SGA, SPA future leaders prepare for upcoming year

Levi Clark, Jr. future SPA president

With preparations for the 2011-2012 school year underway, the Student Government Association and Student Programming Association will welcome four new faces as the organizations’ leaders.

John Lombardo, current SGA vice president, will serve as next year’s SGA president. He said he has learned a lot during his time in the organization and wanted to continue to grow as a leader.

“I figured I could help out my school by taking the next step on the executive board and being the SGA president.”

During his time in office, Lombardo said he hopes to make the executive board closer and work more efficiently, build up SGA as a “better operating organization,” get SGA’s name out there more and ultimately become a more effective government for the students.

SGA’s next vice president will be Matthew Jewell. He said he obtained a great deal of knowledge during his time as both a SGA Senator and as Finance Committee Chairman and felt like he could make more of an impact for the University as vice president. One goal he has for the upcoming year is to acquire a full senate with representation in all curriculums. He also shares Lombardo’s hope for a more effective organization.

“It all goes back to everybody’s voice being heard and how effective we are at getting things done so we can see a real change on the campus,” Jewell said.

Levi Clark, Jr. will serve as SPA’s incoming president. After serving as the Union Activities Committee Chair, Clark said he was ready to move up in the ranks. His main goal for next year is to boost the number of students who participate in campus activities.

“My goal is to increase student involvement as much as I possibly can.”

Clark’s second in command will be Mariam Matteuzzi. Matteuzzi, who currently serves as SGA’s Director of Public Relations, said she hopes to provide educationally based events to students to expose them to various cultures, especially ones that exist in South Louisiana.

“I feel like in South Louisiana there’s so much culture down here, and I don’t see that enough on campus. I think everybody should learn about the different cultures.”

Petitions for these four positions were submitted earlier this month, and the new officers were selected by acclimation.

Miriam Matteuzzi, future SPA vice- president

Matthew Jewell and John Lombardo future SGA president, show comaraderic with matching bow ties.