Cajun Roller Derby Girls donate funds to non-profits

The Cajun Roller Derby Girls are donating partial funds from the match on Nov. 16 at 7:00 p.m. against Pearl River to the Haven organization.
The Haven is a non-profit organization that provides shelter, counseling and other support to survivors of domestic and sexual violence.
The Cajun Roller Girls (CRG), depending on ticket sales, donate partial funds to different non-profit organizations throughout their season. They have always donated to different organizations since the team came together. For example, they donated a large truck of school supplies at a donation drive held by 106.3, radio station, in 2008. They also collected $200 benefiting the Komen for the Cure Breast Cancer research fund.
Tickets can be purchased for this Saturday’s game in advance through Ticket Master. They are $10 for adults, $6 for children and free to children five and under. They can also be purchased at the door at $12 for adults and $8 for children. Students can get in for $8 with their Colonel Card at the door.
The CRG started in Aug. 2008 when they played their first scrimmage at Wheels R. Rollin. When they began, they had so few players that they had to team up with different teams to play But in 2009, they were able to fill a full team. They installed officers they held their first large venue at the Harang Municipal Auditorium in Thibodaux.
Delirum “Trigger” Dominique, Jammer for CRG and Houma native, has been with the team since Feb. 22, 2010, when she met a girl in a bar on her twenty-first birthday. The girl said Dominique looked like she was tough enough to handle the action.
Though Dominique spends most of her time practicing skating and getting fierce with the game, she is also enrolled at Nicholls as a junior in business administration
“It turned me into an athlete, when I didn’t even think it was possible for me to be athletic. I am very active and now healthy due to derby,” said Dominique.
Dominique said that her best skills have to be her endurance and dedication. Her endurance is important because she can finish a round and if the team needs her to go out and do another round, she does not hesitate to do it. Her dedication to derby and the team is the most important skill because dedication, hard work and a lot of practice are necessary to make the team better.
The team is now made up of twenty members, but is always looking to recruiting new girls every year. They are currently looking for new girls who are at least 18 or older, but experience in skating is not required.
Those who are interested can attend clinics throughout the next three months. The first clinic is held on Nov. 30 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. It is important to attend every clinic because they are teaching how to skate, the sport of roller derby and the rules. It costs $45 to attend the clinic held at the Aggies St. Connection East in Houma.