Cricket infestation around campus

Crickets infest every building on campus. Most of them end up like this one dead from the cold air conditioning.

Unwanted pests, crickets, have been spotted in several buildings on campus this summer.

Administrative coordinator for maintenance Shirley Andras said the department has received many calls about them turning up inside places like Polk and Beauregard Halls and in the bushes outside Peltier Hall.

“Everyone’s been calling. They’re all over.”

According to www.orkin.com, female crickets lay their eggs in the soil and by summer, large and active crickets begin to appear. They are omnivores in search of virtually any type of food source. Generally, food can be found outdoors, but if food sources deplete or temperatures get too extreme, crickets will relocate indoors.

The most common crickets are field and house crickets, according to www.bugspray.com. Field crickets are dark brown or black while house crickets are much lighter with three stripes across the top of the head.

Mike Davis, assistant vice president of administration, said the crickets found on campus are nothing to be alarmed about.

“There are a lot in some buildings and a few in others. They come back every summer. It’s not something anyone should be worried about.”

The elimination of these insects is generally through the use of pesticides or professional extermination programs. Currently, Andras said nothing has been done to control the crickets because the Maintenance Department is not authorized to spray inside buildings. She said the department is currently speaking with Davis and others about the best way to handle the situation.