Former Biology head gets roasted

Former Head of the Biology Department Marilyn Kilgen will join a long list of celebrities such as James Franco and Roseanne Barr when she is subjected to a roast Saturday, Sept. 14 in the Cotillion Ballroom of the Bollinger Memorial Student Union from 7 to 9 p.m.
A comedic roast is a tribute, which uses insults, jokes and comedic stories to honor the achievements of a certain person. The event is open to the public and attendees can expect to see Kilgen’s friends and co-workers taking jabs at the Nicholls alumna.
“Marilyn Kilgen has been a leader but has always led with humor and kindness and has often given priority to celebration,” said Gary LaFleur, Associate Professor of Biological Sciences.
Kilgen impacted the lives and academic careers of numerous students and faculty in the Biology Department. Those who were impacted by her were eager to express their gratitude and admiration.
Kilgen received her bachelor’s degree in science from Nicholls Sate University and went on to get her doctorate degree in Microbiology from Auburn University in 1970. She spent 45 years at Nicholls, which included being head of the biology department from 1994-2006. She was also Chair of the Pre-medical Committee and mentored numerous pre-med students. Kilgen was also Director of the Institute for Seafood Studies at Nicholls State University.
Kilgen taught classes such as General Microbiology, Molecular Biology of the Cell, Virology and a workshop that focused on Environmental Regulation, Law and Policy.
Kilgen spent an estimated 30 years researching seafood safety and technology. She also served on various committees that focused on seafood safety, such as the National Academy of Sciences’ Seafood Safety Study. With her work, Kilgen established a protocol to test seafood for safe consumption.
Under her tenure as Head of the Biology Department, the master’s degree program in marine and environmental biology was developed. Kilgen estimated that the program, which began in 2002, was in development for around five years. Some contribute the establishment of this program as the main reason that Nicholls was placed in the forefront in validating the safety of Louisiana oysters.
She also procured two boats to be used by the Biology Department, which currently aid research efforts for faculty and students. One boat was named Miss Dee after Deanna Bonvillain, Kilgen’s dearly cherished administrative assistant who worked in the department for over 35 years. Bonvillain’s daughter, Dana Aucoin, currently works as an administrative assistant in the music department.  LeFleur explained that Kilgen is fond of this story, especially now that Bonvillain’s granddaughter is a biology student.
The second boat was named after Samuel Burton Wilson III, a biology professor who worked at Nicholls for 38 years. Kilgen was assigned to work with Wilson her first semester at Nicholls. In 1998 a tribute roast was also held in Wilson’s honor at the time of his retirement.
According to LeFleur, Kilgen permanently impacted the direction of the department, which led to its stabilization and growth. Through her perseverance and her ability to ignore her detractors, Kilgen impacted not only her department, but also her field.
LaFleur said, “[Kilgen is] admired in a way that is more than formal admiration, includes emotional admiration”
Although the deadline has passed to RSVP to the event, student and faculty are encouraged to purchase tickets, which are $50 per person, by contacting Angelique Nicholas at (985) 448-4700.
Proceeds from the event will go to the Biology Student Excellence Fund, which seeks to aid the education of biology students.