Veteran’s Day tomorrow

Veterans, past and present, will be honored during a University ceremony in the quad tomorrow.

“The ceremony is a way for Nicholls to honor not only students, faculty and staff who are veterans but also to reach out to the community and thank those people that have served,” Courtney Cassard, director of enrollment services, said.

At the ceremony, members of the University chapter of Phi Mu Alpha will lead the National Anthem, and students from the Generations Teaching Generations program will lead the Pledge of Allegiance. There will also be a performance by the MAX Charter School, a presentation and retirement of colors by the Thibodaux High School JROTC and an invocation delivered by Cecil Ellis, University student and Chi Alpha member.

Mike Silva, University student and U.S. Marine Veteran, and University president Stephen Hulbert will welcome attendees to the ceremony. Former speaker of the Louisiana House of Representatives Hunter Dower will deliver the keynote address. Downer is also a retired Major General, U.S. Army/Louisiana National Guard, former secretary of the Louisiana Department of Veteran Affairs and a former candidate for Congress.

Following the ceremony, veterans are invited to a complimentary lunch in the Galliano Dining Hall. Attendees are also encouraged to visit the first floor of Ellender Memorial Library to view a display of memorabilia dating back to World War I set up by assistant archivist Neil Guilbeau.

The Veteran’s Day ceremony will begin at 11:45 a.m. tomorrow and is open to the public. Veterans who attend are invited to wear their uniforms.