Reigning Royalty

Homecoming King & Queen announced

New Nicholls royalty Brittany Chiasson and John Berger took their reign as homecoming queen and king at halftime during the football game against Sam Houston State on Oct. 13.  Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority nominated both students.. 

Chiasson, psychology junior from Napoleonville, is the Director of Student Rights and Grievances for Student Government Association, a member of Sigma Sigma Sigma, a member of GREEN Club, a member of Circle K International Organization, and a student worker for the South Louisiana Economic Council. 

Chiasson said she felt honored to be selected by her sorority. 

“We have so many great ladies that could have been nominated for court,” Chiasson said.

Chiasson said she was surprised when she received the call from SGA Secretary Dolly McGeever delivering the good news.

“I actually missed her call, so I listened to the voicemail she left me about 10 times just to make sure I heard it correctly,” Chiasson said.

Chiasson’s said her favorite homecoming event was the homecoming breakfast, where she said the food was “delicious.”

Although the nomination was a complete surprise for Chiasson, she said she was flattered to be chosen by the students.

“It’s also a privilege because I would have never expected to experience this. I am definitely very grateful,” she said. “I want to thank the ladies of Sigma Sigma Sigma for nominating me.”

After college, Chiasson plans on going to graduate school to further her degree in psychology.  

John Berger, business management junior from Thibodaux, served on the executive council of Kappa Sigma for the last two years, and as Grand Master of Ceremonies of the Omicron-Chi chapter of Kappa Sigma. He was also a member of orientation team this past year, Vice President of Judiciary of Interfraternal Council, and is the Finance Committee Chair of Student Government Association. 

Berger said he was ecstatic when he received the call about his nomination from the ladies of Sigma Sigma Sigma. 

“It meant a lot being nominated, but I felt honored that it was by such an amazing group of ladies,” he said.  “When I found out I made court, of course I was excited, but even more so when I found out the rest of court was made up of my fraternity brothers and very close friends.” 

Berger said he was dumbfounded when he heard his name called at the homecoming game. 

“I don’t think it hit me until I looked back at the student section and that is when I felt an immense pride as a Nicholls student,” Berger said. “I saw, not only my brothers and friends, but gentlemen from other fraternities, people from other organizations, all being Nicholls State students, standing and cheering.”

Berger said his favorite homecoming events were tailgating and the football game.  

“The atmosphere was electrifying during the game while all the students, fans and my fellow court members cheered on the Colonels,” Berger said. “The whole day was truly an unforgettable experience.”

Berger said being homecoming king is more than just a crown and title. 

“This is something I was able to share with my family, brothers, friends, and this University. To know I was able to honor my fraternity, Kappa Sigma, in such a big way, humbled me,” he said. “Above all else, hearing my parents tell me how proud they were of me, meant everything to me. I wouldn’t be where I am today without the Lord and the amazing people in my life.”  

After graduation, Berger plans on getting his master’s degree in business administration. 

“I would love to get a job working at the headquarters for my fraternity, if the opportunity presents itself,” Berger said.

Berger said he loves the University because it is home to him. 

“I fell in love with this University because I feel that everyday I am here, I’m home, because home is where your family is, and the Nicholls State community is family,” he said.