Murphy kicks off presidency with faculty team-building

University President Bruce Murphy began his residence at Nicholls State University with several icebreaker and team-building exercises for the University’s faculty.
On Nov. 4 and Dec. 18, Murphy gathered various faculty members and administrators in the Plantation and Mardi Gras Suites in the Student Union. This experience gave University employees an opportunity to get to know each other and their new president better.
The group performed various activities, such as an icebreaker called pickpocket. This game consists of employees trying to find the source of different items as quickly as possible.
They then performed various group activities such as “Are You The Weakest Link?”, “Just Like Grandma Used To Make,” “Bridge Building” and “Flowcharting”.
The group rounded out their time together by performing an activity called “Mine Field.” This activity consists of blindfolded players being coached through an area by a partner. This activity is usually used to build trust and communication skills.
These activities were not the only things conducted by Murphy. He also encouraged faculty members to participate in group discussion. These discussions ranged in topics such as the strength and weaknesses of the University. Possible threats and positive opportunities for the school were also discussed in between certain activities.
Most participants gave positive feedback after completing these activities.
Renee Piper, interim executive director of public relations and communications, recounted her experience, saying, “I can’t speak for the other participants, but I enjoyed the leadership transition activities and discussion.”
These activities gave faculty members an opportunity to interact with each other outside of a normal work day. The goal of most team building activities is to establish trust, develop a level of comfort and initiate group cooperation and conservation in an engaging way.
“It was great to spend time with coworkers in a relaxed environment where we were able to share ideas. I believe we all left the meeting knowing a little more about each other and Dr. Murphy,” Piper said.
Murphy was named  the fifth president of Nicholls State University on Sept. 10, 2013. Since then, he and his wife, Jeanne, have been very actively involved with various activities around the Nicholls campus.
In October, the Murphy’s visited the Louisiana Center for Dyslexia where they learned more about “Operation White Socks,” a 3-year-old program conducted by Tracy Purvis, program coordinator for the Louisiana Center for Dyslexia. The program provides clean socks and different toiletries to active service members. Murphy commented on his visit, saying, “Both Jeanne and I were impressed with the work being done by the Dyslexia Center.  This is one of those areas where Nicholls has the opportunity not only to stand out, but to lead in an effort so vital to students and the region. Operation White Socks touched us both as a way of demonstrating support for those who have chosen to serve their nation in uniform.
Both Dr. Murphy and his wife have military backgrounds.  This made them relate with the service members on the receiving end of Operation White Socks.
“As a former infantryman, I cannot overstate the comfort provided by clean, dry socks, and every soldier, sailor, airman or Marine who gets a pair will remember the act of kindness provided by Nicholls students, I guarantee it.”
Murphy said, “I encourage all Nicholls students to look for ways to serve others such as Operation White Socks because in the act of service to others we often find ourselves.”