Questions & Answers

Newlin aims for conference title
Amanda Newlin, middle blocker / outside hitter from Clearwater, Kan., keeps her eyes on the ball at all times at practice on August 17.

Amanda Newlin, senior from Clearwater, Kan., is excited to start the season with the Nicholls volleyball team after posting an 18-14 record last year. She has high expectations for the season and took some time before practice to speak with the Nicholls Worth.

Q: As a senior, what are you looking forward to? What are your expectations for the season?
A: Our schedule is a lot of fun compared to years in the past, and everybody’s really excited. There are six seniors so everybody’s ready to show people.

Q: You said it’s more fun. What’s more fun about this schedule compared to previous years?
A: We get to play bigger teams. We open this weekend in Missouri. We play against Michigan, Missouri, Virginia Tech and North Florida. Last year we played a bunch of SLC teams, and we don’t do that this year.  We’re going up to Illinois. It’s a lot more fun and competitive.

Q: And when you talk about going to Missouri and things like that, how do you balance that with school?
A: Yeah, we are actually missing our second and third day of class because we leave. We do a lot of study hall on the bus and in the hotel rooms. It’s just organization and hoping you have teachers that work with you. On the road, coach will designate, like, an hour of study hall.

Q: How was your summer? Have you done any preseason training?
A: Summer was good. Lots of workouts, and I got to go home, so that was nice. We’ve been going since Aug. 8 with two-a-days and six hours of volleyball a day. It’s rough and it’s hard and you get sore, but it’ll be worth it later.

Q: You guys have had some winning seasons, so are you looking to improve?
A: Oh yeah, we didn’t make the conference tournament last year, and that’s everybody’s goal this year. We’ve got to get back and even taking it a step further. We’ve all got this mindset that we’re making this conference tournament, and we want to win that conference tournament. We want a chance at the NCAA.

Q: How do you prepare for a game?
A: I listen to lots of music. I like lots of headphone time.

Q: You transferred to Nicholls, and this is your second year. What made you choose Nicholls?
A: College volleyball was my childhood dream. I wanted that chance to keep playing and get away from home a little bit.

Q: So not being from the area, have you noticed any quirks about living here?
A: I grew up on a wheat farm, so this is totally different. The people are totally different, a lot more laid back. Home is like you go, go, go, all the time. I love it down here though.

Q: Is it hotter down here?
A: Well, all summer it was above 100 degrees at home. But at home it’s dry heat. Here I just can’t walk because it’s so humid and thick.

Q: Have you had a favorite moment with the team?
A: We have a lot of fun together, and we know how to laugh. I don’t know if I can pick one time. We definitely know how to pick each other up, so that’s probably my favorite part. We’re pretty drama-free, and we all hang out off the court. Everybody just plays because they love volleyball.