Questions & Answers

Volleyball senior nears end of her collegiate career after cycling through three coaches
Jennifer Brandt, senior from Wallis, Texas, awaits a serve from the McNeese State Cowgirls on Sept. 15.

Senior outside hitter Jennifer Brandt is wrapping up her last season with the Colonels volleyball squad after having multiple coaches and the team’s first postseason win in the Southland Conference. During the 2012 season, Brandt became the seventh player to amass 1,000 kills for Nicholls. She spoke about the season, her plans after graduation and playing Catch Phrase on the team bus.

Q: Have you been enjoying the season so far?

A: I have been enjoying it pretty well. It is our last year so I feel like we have to give it our all. We are just trying to be a team, and I think it makes it even better when everyone works together.

Q: What has been the hardest part of the season?

A: It has been the traveling. It is the riding on buses, leaving school and not being there for school. That is the hardest part.

Q: What do you guys do for fun on the bus?

A: Usually we either sleep or catch up on homework. But occasionally we will play Catch Phrase. I do not know if you have ever heard of it. It is like a little circular electronic game. You are on teams, and you have to act out the word, but you cannot say the word. It gets us all riled up.

Q: How has it been with it being coach Hiltz first full year?

A: It has been pretty good. It is hard going through three coaches in four years, but for the most part I think Coach Hiltz has done a good job. He is making the team as best as he can.

Q: What is your favorite part of volleyball?

A: It is when we get a block that goes straight down, and no one can touch it. And when we get a kill that hits someone in the face or in the chest. That is always good motivation.

Q: Do you think that volleyball should be on television more?

A: I do. I do not think there is enough exposure. When people come to games, they do not even know what is going on because they do not know the roles, and the roles are a lot harder to catch on to than something like football and soccer. So I feel like if it was shown, they would know more about the game.

Q: Were you an athlete growing up?

A: Yeah I was all throughout middle school and high school. I played volleyball, track and tennis, so I was kind of doing everything. I have always been athletic, and my dad has always been athletic, so I guess it is in the family.

Q: What are you studying in school?

A: I’m in accounting. It is very difficult.

Q: What are your plans after you graduate?

A: Hopefully, I’ll get a job. I want to get an MBA, but I want to take a break for at least a little while to relax some.

Q: What has been a moment that has stood out to you in your years playing volleyball?

A: There is a lot of them. I think one was this game against Southeastern because I feel like we all connected as a team. That is how we need to play. The serving was good. The passing was good. The hitting was good. Everything put together in that game was a good moment.

Q: Did you have a hero growing up, like an athlete?

A: I did not really. I knew about Misty May or Kerri Walsh, who are beach volleyball players, so I kind of looked up to them. But when I was young, I looked up to my dad and my teammates. It was people who were close to me.