All hail the queen and king: a year as Nicholls royalty

Tanner Thibodeaux, Brittany Chiasson, John Berger, and Lauren Lombardo after the crowning of the 2012 homecoming queen and king.

With the anticipation of a new homecoming king and queen, Nicholls’ reigning royalty reflects on their past year as two of the most admired people on campus.
Brittany Chiasson, psychology senior from Napoleonville, was crowned the 2012 Nicholls homecoming queen and was awarded a crown in honor of her title. Chiasson is very involved in Student Government Association and Sigma Sigma Sigma.
“When I was crowned homecoming queen last year, I was in complete shock. It was almost as if I was in a trance-like state,” Chaisson said. Chiasson’s advice for the upcoming queen is, “Have fun with it and enjoy it! The year goes by so quick!” Chiasson said that the homecoming breakfast is her favorite.
Nicholls has always had a special place in her heart, Chiasson said. “Nicholls is, if not my second home, my home,” she said. “Nicholls is all I’ve known and it’s a school that I will leave with a ton of memories that I will remember for years to come.”
John Berger, government senior from Thibodaux, was crowned the 2012 Nicholls homecoming king and was awarded a scepter in honor of his title. Berger shows his leadership skills as the president of Kappa Sigma fraternity. According to Berger, the duties of homecoming king are to get all students and faculty in the homecoming spirit.
“When they called my name I couldn’t believe it, but when I looked in the stands and saw my parents, I felt great,” Berger said.
Some advice that Berger would give the upcoming king is to be friendly to everyone, because everyone will know who you are. “Also take a lot of pictures because the year goes by so fast you will forget it,” Berger said. The homecoming football game is Berger’s favorite because it really shows how much spirit and pride students have for their school.  
“Nicholls is a school that can give you all of the opportunities in the world, even your first semester here,” Berger said. “Nicholls is a community, not just a school.”
Both Chiasson and Berger will attend most of the homecoming events held on campus and will hand over the title once two new students are crowned 2013 homecoming king and queen.
“I am so thankful for this opportunity, and I cannot wait for another girl to feel the same way I did just one short year ago,” Chiasson said. “Everyone needs to come out to the game to support the Colonels and the wonderful homecoming court candidates.”