Nicholls students gear up for Mardi Gras festivities

To the Gulf Coast, Mardi Gras is a time for parades, lots of food and time off from school. However, many people do not know why we celebrate Mardi Gras.

According to history.com, Mardi Gras refers to the last day when Christians binge on meat, eggs, milk and cheese products to prepare for the following day of Lent, otherwise known as Ash Wednesday.

The traditional customs of Mardi Gras, French for “Fat Tuesday,” include wearing masks, going to parades and eating fatty foods.

Following Mardi Gras, Ash Wednesday marks the first day of Lent, when Christians begin fasting from meat on Fridays or 40 days until Easter Sunday.

Leading up to this year’s Mardi Gras, a few Nicholls students shared their plans for the holiday.

“I like to eat at least two king cakes by myself,” Jonathan Lynch, culinary senior from Ruston, said. “I also like to head to New Orleans on St. Charles for one of the parades.”

Lynch continued to say that the carnival season creates a great environment to be in while having lots of fun.

Robert Terell, computer information systems sophomore from Slidell, said that he also plans to travel to New Orleans to see some major parades.

“I plan on seeing Zulu and a couple of other parades in New Orleans this year,” Terrell said. “Then I plan to go on Bourbon Street to finish off the night.”

Cierra Vallery, sophomore from New Orleans, said she is doing something different this year with Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship organization.

“We’re going to Stephen F. Austin University and Alabama University to minister to students and serve their campus ministry over there,” Vallery said.

Vallery said that she and her family usually use Mardi Gras as a family day by cooking hamburgers, ribs and hot dogs.

While some students have plans to travel and attend live parades, other students are staying home to celebrate Mardi Gras.

Toni Wells, psychology sophomore from Waggaman, said she and her family are staying home to spend time together.

“I plan on buying a large, plain king cake for us and watching the parades on television,” Wells said.

Kiala Singleton, family and consumer science junior from Houma, said she grew up going to parades all her life. However, she cannot go to as many parades as she did in previous years.

“My grandmother’s house is right by Main Street, so when we start to hear the motorcycles, we get the lawn chairs and go wait for it to come,” Singleton said. “Although I will not be able to make it to all the parades this year, I am definitely going to one on Mardi Gras day.”