Nicholls Players will perform first musical in 14 years

Gary Baker, business entreprenuer sophomore from Crowley, and Mercedes Hebert, vocal music education sophomore from Raceland, rehearse a scene from The Great American Trailer Park Musical on Monday.

The wait is over. A musical that exudes crude humor and foul language, “The Great American Trailer Park Musical,” is finally open to the public tonight at 8 p.m.

The musical is a 90-minute comedy that mixes country, blues and rock and roll to celebrate the kind and accepting folks who dwell in close-knit mobile home communities. David Nehls created the music and lyrics, and Betsy Kelso wrote the play.

The show will begin tonight at 8 p.m. in Talbot Theater. Other showings will include tomorrow night at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. Admission is $12 for adults and $7 for students with a school ID. Tickets will be available at the door.

The Nicholls Players has not performed a musical in 14 years. The musical was scheduled to show in the spring of 2011, but it was pushed back due to financial reasons.

Daniel Ruiz, speech instructor and director of the Nicholls Players, is the artistic director of the play. He chooses the productions and oversees them. Ruiz hired a director and musical director for the performance.

“I am making sure all the elements are there while not being the stage director,” Ruiz said. “I am producing it.”

Andy Elliott is the director of the musical. Elliott is a Nicholls alumnus from 2001 and former president of the Nicholls Players.

“It has been fun doing the play,” Elliott said. “I thought it would be fun to come back and help with the show.”

Elliott has a company in New Orleans where he directs and produces theater shows. He has also toured the country, producing theater performances.

“The musical is for an adult audience,” Ruiz said. “College audiences don’t want to be treated like children anymore. They want to be talked to like an adult. There is foul language and sexual situations. It is out there in our everyday lives.”

The musical is about a stripper named Pippi, played by Kami Ellender, mass communication junior from Houma, that causes havoc between Jeannie, played by Lisa Cunningham, history junior from Houma, and her husband Norbert, played by Tyler Taquino, business sophomore from Thibodaux.

The neighbors, Betty, Lin and Pickles—played by Nancy Chauvin, freshman from Houma; Ivana Brooks, vocal performance sophomore from Thibodaux; and Mercedes Hebert, vocal music education sophomore from Raceland—come together to save their friends’ marriage.

“It is a musical that celebrates community that looks inside life in a trailer park,” Ruiz said. “A trailer park is a close-knit community where people play in the street and sit on their porches. People can move into a trailer park and just be like, ‘Eh, ok,’ and it is no problem.”

The musical will have a number of twists and shocks as well as a live band playing the songs of the musical.

“There is going to be a rock band playing,” Ruiz said. “They are residents of the trailer park that play in the middle of the trailer park.”

The musical breaks away from stereotypes to what a trailer park is and who lives there.

“There are elements in the musical that some may consider white trash,” Ruiz said. “The musical makes fun of some of the elements of a trailer park and what we think about it.”

Ruiz chose it because he wanted to have a musical since there has not been one in 14 years. He wanted to test out if the cast can do musicals that will lead to other big productions in the future.

“I chose it because there are so many mobile home communities in this region of Terrebonne and Lafourche parish,” Ruiz said. “They get a bad rep, and when people pass them they say ‘Oh gosh, I don’t want to get too close.’ People try to pass by quickly.”

The Student Programming Association helped with finances that granted Ruiz $2,000 in ticket sales that will be passed out to first-year experience classes.

“They came to the rescue, and now I am able to buy sound equipment and pay the musicians,” Ruiz said.

The trailer park is a close home to Ruiz. He has lived in a trailer park before.

“I can appreciate what it is,” Ruiz said. “I have never felt more welcomed.”