German tennis player adapts to his Cajun home

Maximillian Sinn is a freshman from Frankfurt, Germany and is at Nicholls to play tennis and major in business administration.
He decided to attend Nicholls because he liked the tennis program and head coach Meenakshi Sundaram and was also attracted by the business program.
Q: What has been the biggest culture shock?
A: In general, the people here behave more openly than in Germany. It is quite different. All of the people want to start conversations with you. In Germany, you never do that.
Q: How does the language barrier affect your life in Louisiana?
A: When I am sitting in lectures, I can understand almost everything. Speaking is getting easier and easier. I improve my language every day. In the beginning, it was quite hard because I couldn’t talk much.
Q: How does tennis differ in the United States compared to Germany?
A: There is a rule here that when a serve touches the net, you continue to play. In Germany and international play, you repeat the serve.
Q: Describe the day in the life of a tennis player at Nicholls.
A: On a normal day, I have to wake up at 5 a.m., we play tennis from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. and then I have my classes. Then we have practice from 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m., and then after practice we run or go to the gym. In the evening, I do my homework.
Q: How would you describe your coach’s style of coaching?
A: He enjoys working with everybody and he tries to improve everybody. He is able to motivate one really well.
Q: What are your goals for the season?
A: I think we are a really good team. We only have 3 players returning from last year. The rest of the team is freshmen. We are all young, but a really good team. We will try to win every match.
Q: What do you miss the most about Frankfurt?
A: I would say of course I miss my parents, my brother and my friends, but I am feeling really good here. I enjoy being here.