Music department “presents” two Christmas concerts

Nicholls State University’s Chamber Singers and Choir bring in the Christmas season with their concerts performing Christmas carols.
The choir will present their Candlelight Christmas Concert on Tues. Dec. 3, at 7:30 p.m. in Talbot Hall’s Mary Danos Theatre. This year’s choir will kick off the Christmas season with the theme of “A Carol for to Sing,” including Christmas songs and carols that help tell a Christmas story.
Admission for the choir’s performance is free for both students and the public.
The Nicholls’ choir will perform 11 songs including “Angels We Have Heard on High,” “Silent Night,” “A Babe is Born” and many more that correspond with the theme.  Along with the songs, there will be two folk songs from Newfoundland and Scotland, and a solo performance by Jessica Frickey, a senior vocal music education major from Des Allemands, who will sing “Silent Night.”
The choir is made up of over 30 vocally talented members, including students, administration, faculty and community members. The members in the choir all have extensive choral backgrounds.
The choir is always looking for new members to perform in their concerts for the fall and spring performances. If someone is interested in becoming a member of the choir, he or she should register the class. Once the class starts, Dr. Kenneth S. Klaus will ask you to audition. If accepted after tryouts during class time, students will be able to stay in the class and help with the production.
Also, in preparation for the Christmas season, the Nicholls’ Chamber Singers will perform on Fri. Dec. 6, at 7 p.m. in the Student Union’s Cotillion Ballroom.
The chamber singers will kick off their 27th edition of the Christmas Dinner Series with the theme of  “Winter Wonderland.” Guests will receive a full multi-course meal, music and a visit from Santa.  Some of the songs that will be performed by the chamber singers are “Snow,” “Jolly Old St. Nicholas” and “Jingle Bells.”
The chamber singers are made up of an elite 10-to-20 singer group who have auditioned in front of Klaus. The way to join the chamber singers is to audition by sending an email to Klaus or by getting an invitation to join the organization.
Chamber singers perform for the fall and spring concerts, and they are frequently asked to perform at Disney World.
Reservations can be made till Dec. 2 at noon. Tickets will costs $40 for adults and $20 for children aged twelve and younger. To make the reservations, call Dana Aucoin, administrative assistand in the music department, at (985) 448-4600, stop by 241 Talbot Hall or email your request to [email protected]. Preference to the seating will be given to those who have made reservations by Nov. 22, 2013.
“All of the funds raised through the Chamber Singers’ dinner are put right back into the production,” Aucoin said. “Each year, we hope to collect just enough to pay for the event.  This is not a fundraiser, but an enjoyable way to begin the Christmas season.”