Nicholls student crowned queen of local krewe

Caitlin Cowen, mass communication and graphic design junior from Thibodaux, looks at the scepter she received for being selected queen for the Krewe of Christopher on Monday at her home.

Caitlin Cowen, mass communication and graphic design junior from Thibodaux, prepares to wear her crown March 7th, 2011 as the 58th queen of the Krewe of Christopher.

According to theredcarpetinn.com, the Krewe of Christopher was organized in 1964. The original members were the Knights of Columbus and Husbands of Catholic Daughters.

The Krewe of Christopher has been a part of Caitlin’s life even before she was announced queen. Her grandfather was one of the founders of the krewe. Her mother and aunt were previous queens.

“It was one of those things I looked at in pictures when I was little,” Cowen said. “It is kinda cool.”

There is no parade taking place for the Krewe of Christopher.

“Thibodaux is a small town so we don’t get to have a parade,” Cowen said.

The king elects the new queen. This year, Cowen’s uncle was elected king by being selected out of a hat with the members of the krewe inside.

“In July, he asked me if I wanted to be queen,” Cowen said. “He made this elaborate build up conversation until he finally asked me. When he asked, I was confused because I didn’t even know what he was talking about. I was really surprised.”

The krewe has their ball on Monday, March 7th, 2011. The ball has a presentation, dance and a live band.

“The presentation is going to be the most exciting part,” Cowen said. “I am really looking forward to the live band that will play. It is different than a d.j. It is not everyday you get to have a live band at a ball.”

Cowen will continue the family legacy by wearing the gown her mother wore when she was queen.

“I am so excited that I just wanted to invite everyone,” Cowen said.

The ball will be at the Warren J. Harang Municipal Auditorium from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m.

Caitlin Cowen, a Junior Mass Communications/Graphic Design Major from Thibodaux poses with her crown and