Questions & Answers

Sophomore distance runner talks about broken records

Sophomore distance runner Tessni Carruthers got her name in the school records in her second year at Nicholls. Carruthers is part of the distance relay time that recently broke a school record with a time of 12:07.70. Additionally, she ran the 1500-meter in 4:34.40, good for third in school history. She spoke about training, fainting during a competition and appreciating the Louisiana heat.
Q: How has the season been going?
A: It has been good actually. It has been better than last season, so I am happy about that.
Q: When did you realize you wanted to run, or that you were good at it?
A: Well I have been running cross country since very early, like elementary school, but I did not start doing track until grade 11. I was a swimmer, but I was kind of getting sick of that, so I decided to switch over.
Q: How do you train to run?
A: Well, we run almost every day. We usually get one day off a week. It is something like two to three workouts a week, and then all of the other days are filled with just runs. We do lifting two to three times a week too.
Q: Has anything strange ever happened at a meet?
A: At regionals last year, I had a mishap where I passed out like 50 meters from the finish line, because apparently I was really dehydrated. I woke up in the oxygen tent after, and everything was fine. I guess it was just dehydration. I did not get to finish the race, so that was kind of a bummer.
Q: What was the aftermath like with that?
A: We came back from Texas, and I went to the hospital. But it was fine. I just had to get an IV and stuff. It was kind of a bummer to end the season like that. It was not really my goal.
Q: What do you normally do to unwind after a meet?
A: We usually have the next day off, so that is pretty good. My roommates and I will just chill and eat a lot of food.
Q: What do you eat to get your energy back?
A: I usually have one day of the week where I eat a lot of chocolate because that is my favorite food ever. We eat a lot of peanut butter. Peanut butter, bananas and coffee is basically what we live off of.
Q: If you had to say, is there one golden rule about running?
A: I guess when you are always running so much, you are not going to like it because it gets kind of repetitive doing the same type every single day, twice a day sometimes. But it is just remembering that I like it, it is what I want to do and keeping my eye on the big goal, because even if you get sick of it, it will all be worth it at the end.
Q: How do you psyche yourself up before an event?
A: Well, I used to get really nervous before races, but that does not really happen to me too much anymore. I usually just listen to music. I listen to actual rap music before, and I do not listen to that ever. So I guess I do that, and I do not do too much, unless it is a really big race with a lot of pressure.
Q: What is your favorite thing about Nicholls?
A: I like that it is so hot here, and I can run. Where I live it is already snowing right now. My sister texted me and said she was racing in snow while it is 30 degrees Celsius here. So it is nice.
Q: What do you want to do in the future?
A: I am a communicative disorders major, so I want to go back to Canada and get my masters or doctorate in that. I want to move back to BC (British Columbia) and just run I guess.