Nicholls to host 2011 Louisiana Swamp Stomp festival

The Nicholls student body, along with the entire community, is invited to attend the third annual Louisiana Swamp Stomp festival that will be held on March 18-20 on campus.

“Swamp Stomp is a great entertainment venue for anyone who loves Cajun and Zydeco music, local foods, locally made art and crafts and south Louisiana culture,” Brenda Haskins, festival committee co-chair and director of auxiliary services, said. “It’s a festival specifically dedicated to Cajun culture, and we believe the people of the Bayou Region recognize the value of that.”

Activities will begin on the morning of Friday, March 18, but the festival gates will open and begin charging at 2:30 p.m. in the parking lot next to John L. Guidry Stadium. The festival will continue throughout the weekend, opening at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday and 10 a.m. on Sunday.

Admission is $10 per day or $25 per weekend at the gate. The event will be free for children 11 and under.

Brittany Taraba, Student Government Association president, said that although the festival will officially kickoff on Friday afternoon, there will be free educational programs for students and community members in the morning.

“It is an educational program with demonstrations of cooking classes, Cajun dance lessons and even something about fur trapping,” Taraba said. “It’s kind of got a little bit of everything about the history of the region. There will also be a free concert that afternoon by one of the scheduled bands.”

Taraba said the crafts and vendors programs will start on Friday afternoon, and they will continue throughout the weekend.

“That will be when the tickets start going into effect,” Taraba said.

The Student Programing Association will be sponsoring the student tickets. Taraba said that SGA has not done it yet but is looking into it.

“SGA is looking into getting weekend passes for the students so that they can go one day or every day,” Taraba said. “Whatever is convenient for them.”

Of the many bands playing at this year’s festival, Feufollet, Cedric Watson & Bijou Creole, Chubby Carrier & the Bayou Swamp Band and the Pine Leaf Boys were all nominated for the Best Zydeco Cajun Music Album at the 53rd Annual Grammy Awards. Chubby Carrier & the Bayou Swamp Band was announced the winner.

Free Zydeco Cajun dance lessons will be offered one hour before the first band starts on each day of the festival.

Taraba said that the festival has been really popular with the older generations, but this year they are trying to get college level and younger generations to attend.

“The goal of the program is to eventually sponsor faculty research,” Taraba said. “They’re kind of building up that money so that in the near future, they can sponsor things like research trips and grants.”

Haskins said that the Swamp Stomp became a Thibodaux tradition after its hugely successful inaugural festival in 2009.

“Swamp Stomp is the celebration of Cajun history and Cajun culture,” Taraba said. “It is open to anyone and everyone. Students are more than welcome to attend.”