Maloo heats up with consecutive victories

The Nicholls State University women’s tennis team lost 5-2 against McNeese State on Saturday and 4-3 against Lamar on Sunday.

Led by the singles duo of Parija Maloo and Marie Aubert, who both went undefeated in singles, improved their records to 13-2. Maloo, native of Pune, India, who is majoring in general studies with a minor in business, posted a 5-2 record in conference this season thus far.

On Friday, Maloo won her singles match by the score of 6-3, 6-3 and later won her doubles match 8-3 after pairing with Dutch teammate Anna Leeuwerik.

On Sunday against Lamar, Maloo took the No. 1 match against Carolina Salas 7-5, 4-6, 6-3, before winning her doubles match 8-1.

Before coming to Nicholls, Maloo played at South Alabama and Auburn-Montgomery, where she earned NAIA All-American honors.

Q: How has the season gone thus far in terms of personal and team achievement?

A: I have won my last four matches. I played really well in my matches so far this semester, and my current record at the No.1 position is 13-2.

Q: How long have you played tennis, and did you play other sports growing up?

A: I grew up in a small town back in India where my dad introduced me to tennis. I started playing tennis for fun when I was seven years old. Then I took it seriously when I was 13. Before tennis, I did judo and dancing, but I have not played other sports besides tennis.

Q: What do you consider to be your greatest strength in your tennis game, and why?

A: My greatest strength, I would consider to be my groundstrokes. I am more of a baseline player and like to pound shots that are heavy and clean. I also fight to win each match, which is also a big strength of mine.

Q: What is the greatest gift tennis has given you?

A: The greatest gift tennis has given me is the recognition, the ability to travel all over the world, friends from all over the world, and a lot of memories and experiences at an early age. Tennis gave me an opportunity to come and study in the United States at good universities with a full scholarship for my undergraduate degree.

Q: Describe your transition from India to America. How does Nicholls differ from the other colleges you have attended?

A: My transition from India to America has been an interesting one. I came to the U.S. and attended South Alabama University in Mobile in 2009. The coach from that school saw me play in Thailand and offered me a scholarship.

I played in South Alabama for a year and had to transfer to Auburn University-Montgomery (NAIA) because of my eligibility reasons. I played there for one semester and went back to India for personal reasons and started to study for civil exams in India.

In December of 2010, I met the head coach Meenakshi Sundaram in Bangalore and followed him here to Nicholls in Spring 2011. I really love being at Nicholls rather than my other past schools. I really like the family atmosphere here that my team and both the coaches, Meenakshi and Dmitry Lebedev, give me. I think that is the most important part to be in any college team.

People in Thibodaux are so nice and friendly that I feel at home. Also, the professors at school are very co-operative. I really appreciate when they come out to support us in home matches. 

Q: What is your favorite aspect of being a Nicholls student-athlete?

A: My favorite aspect of being a Nicholls student-athlete is that all of my professors like me. You become popular on campus when you are an athlete, and it is a great feeling. It motivates me to do better in my tennis and studies. 

Q: What made you want to play tennis here in Thibodaux?

A: Coach Meenakshi recruited me, and this prompted me to play tennis here in Thibodaux. Also, the weather here is similar to India-humid and hot now. I love playing under both our coaches, because they are amazing people. 

Q: Where do you see yourself 15 years from now?

A: Fifteen years from now, I see myself well-settled professionally and personally. I also see myself in great shape, continuing to play tennis.

Q: If you could be any celebrity for a day, who would you be and why?

A: This is a tough one because I like a lot of celebrities. However, I think I would be my mom. She is celebrity in our small town back home, and I absolutely love her personality and the way she carries herself and maintains herself. Everyone in town loves her, and I want to be like her one day. 

Q: Are you ready for the heat of summer, or do you prefer the cold of winter?

A: Well, it is beautiful right now. I would want it to stay this way, but I can handle more heat. India is just like that, and I absolutely love playing in sun. I love summers over winters!