Webster named LPSWA pitcher of the week

Nicholls’s baseball team’s redshirt senior pitcher Seth Webster has been named the Louisiana Sports Writers Association Pitcher of the Week for the second consecutive week last Friday.

This is the third time Webster has earned the LSWA honor in his career.

“It’s pretty neat,” Webster said. “We came out last week and played really good defense. It wasn’t just me. It was definitely a team effort. I am really proud of our team and what we have accomplished thus far.”

Webster, who has a 5-2 record, earned his third straight victory after defeating the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders last weekend. He struck out a season-high nine batters and gave up only one run with five hits and no walks.

Webster went into the weekend second in the nation in walks per nine innings while not walking a batter in his last 27 innings.

Webster has set several personal goals this season that he hopes to accomplish.

“I really plan on working hard and growing as a pitcher,” Webster said. “My main goal for the rest of the season is to be named the conference pitcher of the year.”

Webster believes the team is very talented this season, and that they have a good chance in winning a conference championship title.

“Our team goal is to, obviously, play to the best of our ability and win the conference championship, whether that’s regular season or tournament,” Webster said. “We have a good group of guys, and I really think we can make it happen.”

After Nicholls, Webster plans to keep baseball a part of his life while using his years of experience to coach younger players.

“After Nicholls, I plan to go on and be a coach somewhere. I’m not sure where yet. I plan to go wherever baseball takes me. Baseball has been such a huge part of my life that I cant imagine my life without it.”

The Colonels head to Texas where they will return to action on Friday afternoon against the University of Texas at Arlington at 6:30 p.m.