Soccer player enjoys culture

After three successful, accolade-garnishing seasons of high school and club soccer, Janelle Brandom, mass communication sophomore from Scottsdale, Ariz., decided to take her talents east to Louisiana to play at Nicholls State University.

During her freshman season, Brandom appeared in 16 games, started twice and managed to score her first collegiate goal in her third game as a Colonel. She also found the net earlier this season against Prairie View A&M University.

Q: What are your thoughts on the season thus far, and are there any differences from last year’s team?

A: Things are going very well. We have grown a lot as a team since last year. We lost a lot of good players, five seniors to be exact, but this year we gained some incoming freshmen that are making a big impact.

Q: What has been your personal highlight of the season?

A: It would be our team effort against UL-Lafayette, which we won 2-1. The victory was a big win for our team, and it showed how close we have gotten as a whole squad.

Q: What does the five-game winning streak and overall record of 6-3-1 say about the team?

A: The recent success has given us a lot of momentum and confidence moving forward, especially into conference play.

Q: How long have you played soccer, and have you played any other sports growing up?

A: Soccer has been a passion of mine since I was three. I also competed in downhill ski racing, swim team, golf and many other sports.

Q: Both your parents and older sister attended William Jewell College. What attracted you here to Thibodaux to play soccer at Nicholls?

A: I was recruited alongside Mellissa Pestalozzi to come play for Nicholls. We have been best friends for years, and we played together on the same club team, so we decided mutually to come here to play soccer.

Q: Your older sister Jalene played collegiate soccer at William Jewell, so she must relate to what you are experiencing. Is she helpful in terms of advice and understanding the sorts of things you are going through?

A: Through her advice, she has instilled in me the passion and determination I need in order to succeed.

Q: What is the greatest gift soccer has given you?

A: Aside from the special opportunities it has presented, the greatest gifts would have to be the lessons it has taught me: dedication, time-management and drive.

Q: What is your dream job?

A: I would love to host my own TV show like Kelly Ripa!

Q: What has the transition been from Scottsdale, Arizona, to Thibodaux, Louisiana?

A: People are way nicer down here. It is common for people to randomly tell you “hello,” and back in Arizona, that never happens. The weather is also different. I consider the heat here to be worse than back home, especially due to the humidity. The food is also quite different; my dad loves the cuisine here, but I do not like it as much. However, I do eat the things you crack the heads off the body. What are those called-crawfish? I love those, but I do not like to touch them. I would rather have them peeled for me!