Students and teachers share craziest absence excuses

Whether students miss class for important reasons or because they just do not feel like going, excuses are well known on any college campus.

Students have been missing class for years. This semester, Nicholls professors have raised awareness for students to attend class. If a student fails to attend a certain amount of classes, they fail that class for the semester. Not every professor follows this policy, but it has been enforced more this semester than last semester.

With this rule in mind, many students often make up excuses for why they should not go to class.  

Errol Monget, business administration junior from Baton Rouge, said, “The craziest excuse I have heard from one of my friends is that he was waiting for the elevator in his dorm, and it took too long so he left and did not go to class.”

Some excuses are not as simple as an elevator taking too long. Others are prepared with more imaginary ideas.  

Tammy Lopinto, psychology sophomore from Laplace, said, “The craziest excuse I have used is the mail man’s mail flew all over the neighborhood, and I helped him pick up all his mail.”

Some excuses have a more personal meaning as to why students miss class.

Dominique Polk, business administration sophomore from St. Martinville, said, “I was late because my favorite cartoon was on TV.”

Talia Flugence, athletic training sophomore from Thibodaux, said, “One day, I did not go to class because it was raining too hard.”

Some students have a problem with the class environment, so they do not go to class.

Samantha Neale, multinational business management junior from Holden, said, “I sometimes do not go to class because it is too cold in the auditorium in Gouaux Hall. I have seen people shaking because it is so cold in there.”

Students come up with the excuses, but some professors claim to have heard the most outrageous ones.

Dwight Boudreaux, psychology professor, said, “A student missed his test because he had tickets for a concert, and he could not exchange them. It was hilarious to me.”

Erin Clement, mathematics instructor, said, ” Students have said to me that they were hungry, ‘I didn’t think we were doing anything today’, and ‘I hate math.’ I have also had some serious excuses where a person ran over their dog, and they had to bring it to the vet.”