Baseball falls to 4-5 in conference after dropping McNeese series

After defeating the University of New Orleans at home last Thursday and giving up a nail biting series to McNeese State this past weekend, the Nicholls baseball team fell to a record of 13-11 overall.

The Colonels welcomed UNO to Ray E. Didier Field with a storm cloud on the horizon. After merely one inning of play, the game was delayed due to rain. The game picked up after 33 minutes, and so did Nicholls offense. The team recorded seven hits in the matter of two innings. First baseman Blake Bergeron shined in the batters box going 3-4 at the plate, and Nicholls cycled through five pitchers allowing only four runs. The final score was 6-4 in Nicholls’ favor, a win that was needed in order to gain the momentum necessary to travel to an important conference matchup against McNeese.

Before the series against McNeese, head coach Seth Thibodeaux stated that consistency of play was lacking in the team’s efforts to win, and unfortunately, this consistency did not prevail in this past weekend’s matchup versus McNeese. Nicholls barely clinched the first game 1-0, with Senior Seth Webster, the Southland Conference Pitcher of the week, throwing a career high 128 pitches for the Colonels, which gave him his fourth win of the season.

The Cowboys would upset Nicholls 0-2 and 7-8 in the last two remaining games of the series. Thibodeaux seems puzzled by the sudden losses of the team.

“What I like about our club is that we always put ourselves in position to win and to be successful, but this team has not learned to put teams away when they have the chance. That is very concerning,” Thibodeaux said.

As of March 27, The Colonels have dropped from 3-3 in conference to 4-5. The next conference matchup will be held in Thibodaux versus Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. A win would give Nicholls a winning record in conference play, and place the team back on its winning ways.

“We are at a point in our season where it’s time to be consistent as a team. The plan is to do this all weekend versus Texas A&M-CC,” he said.