Students share plans for Valentine’s Day festivities

Tyler Folse, pre-physical therapy junior from Cut Off, hugs his girlfriend Leslie Moss, pre-dental hygiene sophomore from Raceland, before dropping her off at the Delta Zeta meeting on Monday.

Many students have plans for Valentine’s Day, whether they love or hate the holiday.

Joey Adams, culinary sophomore from Baton Rouge, said that he will be buying his girlfriend flowers and taking her out to eat while Allan Brambilla, freshman from Patterson, will be taking his girlfriend ice-skating.

“I will be making a scrapbook for my boyfriend because we have been together for about two years,” Jalin Wells, freshman from New Orleans, said.

Mike Cartozzo, Nicholls graduate from LaPlace, said that he plans to “come up with a long list of compliments to give his girlfriend to distract her from the fact that she is too good for me.”

While these Nicholls students and alumni decide what they plan to do for their significant others, others are planning to hang out with their other single friends.

“All of my single friends and I are celebrating our love for each other by going out to eat,” Chelsie Bergeron, freshman from Pierre Part, said. “We’re calling it our ‘We hate Valentine’s Day’ party.”

Some students, like Kayci Castaneda, nursing sophomore from Morgan City, will not be participating in any Valentine’s activities because she will be doing schoolwork.

“I will have a test on Monday followed by more studying,” Castaneda said.

Students like Kiala Singleton, family and consumer sciences junior from Houma, and Jenna Williams, freshman from Patterson, have condemned the holiday.

“I will be forever alone,” Singleton said. “I plan to burn every bit of Valentine’s paraphernalia that I come across and throw Holy water on every couple that I see walking around campus.”

Williams said that Valentine’s Day is a perfect holiday for couples, but it is a completely different story for singles.

“Valentine’s Day is a perfect holiday when you are actually with someone, but when you are alone, all of that changes,” Williams said. “I’ve taken an oath to not celebrate Valentine’s Day this year and every year after that. I will be the Valentine’s Day rebel.”

Despite the differences in opinion, Valentine’s Day proves that love affects everyone, in both good and bad ways.