Underground campus rap organization has first party

John “YT” Godfrey battles at the first Kampus Smakk party last Thursday.

Starting in April 2010, Kampus Smakk is an underground organization that showcases the talent of different rappers.

The organization started when John “YT” Godfrey, marketing junior from Metairie, and Datwyane “Fat” Wilson, finance sophomore from Westwego, decided to have a rap battle in La Maison du Bayou Apartments.

Friends of the two liked the battle and suggested they start an organization.  They called it Kampus Smakk. It originated from Smakk, which showcased rap battles around the country.

The organization expanded to six artists: John Godfrey, Robert Rivers, Sean Burnham, Kalvin Wallace, Laquinton Caston and Datwyane Wilson. Their goal is to visit colleges all over the country to find rappers to battle with.

The organization recently added their first lady of Kampus Smakk, Demecia “Tootie” Jackson, family and consumer sciences junior from Jeanerette.

“It is fun to be the first lady,” Jackson said. “I learn a lot from my fellow rappers. They do not take it easy on me because I am a girl. I work continuously to rap as hard as any male rapper.”

The battles are meant to be fun. There are no rivalries between the artists. Battles are usually three rounds between two rappers. Each battle shows the rapper’s talent at that moment. It is about who can come up with a better delivery of punch-lines.

Jackson had her first battle at the organization’s first party last Thursday.

“I have never battled before,” Jackson said. “It is a big difference from rapping freely. I have been sick, so I decided to get all my schoolwork done. After my work was done, I prepared to battle for three days. I just look in the mirror, rapping to myself, pretending it is my opponent.”

The artists also perform cyphers. A cypher is a group of artists coming together to freestyle on one instrumental beat.  

The organization is alternating into new things. They plan on eventually showcasing singers, dancers and stand up comedians.

“It is like a talent search,” Godfrey said. “It is not just about battle rapping. People up north see this down south and they like it.”

There are plans to create a Kampus Smakk comedy night for next semester.

“To all the up-and-coming rappers, do not focus on what other people will say about you,” Jackson said. “Have your mind focused and determined. I have been rapping since I was 9 years old, and I kept my interestin it. Keep at it.”

People who are interested in being a part of the team should contact John Godfrey.

“For female rappers, everybody should be supportive,” Jackson said. “There are a few of us and so many male rappers. We are meant to rap as hard as them. I give a huge thanks to YT. And shout out to everybody for Team Tootie.”

You can follow the organization on Twitter @Kampus_Smakk. Battles can also be watched on Youtube by searching godsgift66.

In the words of the Kampus Smakk team, “We at yo Nekk!!”

Demecia “Tootie” Jackson participes in her fi rst rap battle last Thursday.