Young freshman contributes right away for the Colonels

With two goals and two assists in her first game to begin her collegiate career, Kristy Tatom, freshman from LaPorte, Texas, has already made her mark on the season.

As a substitute versus Spring Hill, Tatom trotted onto the field hoping to make an impact.

“I never expected something like that. All I was hoping to do was make an impact. Afterwards, I was really excited just to have helped the team,” Tatom said.

It was this type of ability that first landed Tatom on Dylan Harrison’s radar. He knew of Tatom for a couple of years through her former club coach.

“Her work ethic on and off the field has always been something that has made me want her to be part of our team,” Harrison said. “Kristy has done really well so far and has already distinguished herself as a unique, creative player. She has played in every game so far; her attitude and energy coming in off the bench makes for a difficult matchup for opposing teams.”

Soccer has always been a passion for Tatom. She can recall beginning to play the sport known as futbol at the age of three.

“Growing up, I was really active,” Tatom said. “My parents enrolled me in a number of sports to try to run off some of my excess energy. Turns out soccer was the perfect way to do that.”

At age 10, she began playing club soccer at the U11 level. The program in which she competed lasts through U18, which is comprised of 18-year-olds. This brand of soccer offers a more competitive atmosphere than most high school soccer divisions.

“Club soccer allowed us to travel around the United States to compete against the toughest teams,” Tatom said. “Getting to play against some of the most talented girls from across the country and even from Canada enlightened me in terms of different styles and tactics of play.”

Transitioning to collegiate soccer has been a different experience for Tatom but not a difficult one, she said.

“High school soccer is extremely different than this level. It is not nearly as competitive or fast paced as college soccer,” Tatom said. “However, club is similar, but it is different training three times a week compared to now since we practice every day of the week.”

During a visit here at Nicholls, Tatom felt extremely welcomed by the team. Combined with a curriculum that offered nursing, her desired major, the former high school valedictorian felt at home in Thibodaux.

“Since Nicholls has a nursing program, my decision was made that much easier,” Tatom said. “My parents have always instilled in me that academics must come first. Plus, Nicholls is only five hours away from my home in LaPorte.  On my recruitment trip here, the girls on the team welcomed me and took me in. Coaches Dylan and Kristen seemed very laid back with the right type of philosophy.”

One downfall of becoming a student athlete here at Nicholls was that for the first time in her 18 years of life, Tatom would have to separate herself from her twin sister, who also plays collegiate soccer. Misty Tatom, whom is a freshman at Charleston Southern University and a defender on the Lady Buccaneer soccer team, understands the ins and outs of a newly deemed freshman athlete.

“We have become a support system for one another now that we are apart. Back home in the past, we were together so much that we would fight a lot,” Tatom said. “But because of the distance, we miss each other, and we now understand how much we used to depend on one another. We are able to talk on the phone every day and we Skype as often as possible.”

The distance, though difficult to endure, is something Tatom sees as a benefit.

“We have done everything together our whole lives. It is weird to not have her around, but it is something that needed to be done,” Tatom said. “This absence will only make our relationship that much stronger.”

The relationships she has already built with her teammates are one aspect that makes the separation from her sister easier, she said.

“I really love our team dynamic,” Tatom said. “I am a freshman, so I do not know all of the girls too well yet, but I already feel like they are my sisters. We have a really strong bond with one another, which is important for any team to be successful.”

For that very reason, Tatom is optimistic that their current 2-3-1 record will improve.

“I know we can do better. We are a strong team, so I know we can overcome this adversity,” Tatom said. “A loss right now is not as big of a deal as it is when conference play begins. Sometimes you need those instances where you come up short to better you as a team for later in the season.”