Nursing senior to be on Wheel of Fortune college week

Abbie Lapeyrouse, nursing senior from Houma, practices Wheel of Fortune on a computer in Talbot Hall on Tuesday.

Abbie Lapeyrouse, nursing senior from Houma, graces Nicholls with her accomplishment of being a contestant on the Wheel of Fortune.

With dreams of being on television since she was a little girl, Lapeyrouse’s dreams came true when she was accepted to be a contestant on Wheel of Fortune.

“It was a long process to get on the show,” she said. “The Wheel Mobile was at Harrah’s in New Orleans, and I went with my mother and sister. We filled out a comment card, and they put it in a raffle. Out of 50 people, my mother and sister were called.”

Lapeyrouse was saddened when her name was not called for the raffle at Harrah’s. She did not know, however, that her mother had already entered her in another contest.

“Way before going to Harrah’s, my mom sent my e-mail to them for being a contestant for college week,” she said. “Around Christmas, I got an e-mail from them saying that they wanted me to try out.”

Lapeyrouse and her mother were called to the Ritz-Carlton in New Orleans for a private interview in early January.

“I was very nervous because there was over 50 college students there,” she said. “I was the only one from Louisiana. The other college students were mostly from Arkansas.”

With her nerves on edge, Lapeyrouse said that she messed up the first time on the first puzzle.

“The second time, I guessed the whole puzzle,” she said. “I just guessed one letter, and I figured out the whole thing.”

Being awarded with a t-shirt for winning the puzzle, Lapeyrouse was immersed into the competition where she was given a written test to take.

“I possibly passed because they called my name to come back in,” she said. “I introduced myself to the staff of the Wheel of Fortune. I also said a joke that made other people laugh, but the staff didn’t. My joke was ‘what kind of pants does Mario wear? Dun-em Dun-em Dun-em.’ I felt very confident when I left.”

The interview took place in early January, and Lapeyrouse was told she would get a letter later that month saying if she was accepted on the show.

“I did not get a letter in January or February,” she said. “I was like, ‘oh well.’ Then on March 16, I got a voicemail from the people from Wheel of Fortune, and they wanted me to be a contestant for college week.”

Lapeyrouse strategies are to have fun and buy plenty of vowels.

“This is a once in a lifetime opportunity,” she said. “I plan on practicing, meeting new people and having a good time.”

Lapeyrouse will be filmed this Saturday at the Convention Center in New Orleans. The episode will be on TV from May 9 to May 13.

“If I were to win, I would like to go on a trip because I love to travel,” she said. “If I win money, it will be spent wisely.”