Colonel Close Up

Freshman student loves free running
Tyler Thornton, freshman from Morgan City, backfl ips outside the Student Publications offi ce on Monday.

Some may not guess that this Morgan City resident has the potential to become the next professional free runner.

Tyler Thornton, a freshman with an interest in business, likes to free run in his spare time when he’s not at school or at work.

“Free running is turning any environment into a playground, so no matter where you are, free running is possible,” he said. “Anything you can possibly do on an object in an environment involving tricks, flips, jumps, turns and rolls can all be considered free running.”

When he is not free running, Thornton also enjoys skateboarding or just listening to his music.

Thornton decided to come to Nicholls after his parents offered to pay for his tuition and other college funds as long as he lived at home.

“I live with them now, and all I have to do is pay for gas,” he said.

Thornton admits that although it is easier to live at home, it can be rough sometimes to be a commuter.

“Waking up in the morning can be terrible sometimes because I have a 1M class, but it’s not too bad,” he said.

Q: What is the most played song on your iPod right now?

A: It is “The Opportunity to Be” by My Ticket Home.

Q: If you could wear one pair of shoes for the rest of your life, what would they be?

A: Nike 6.0 because they are the most comfortable pair of shoes I have ever placed my feet in that will support me in my hobbies.

Q: If you had a million dollars, what would be the first thing you would buy?

A: I would stock up on real food first, then soda and other junk.

Q: What is your favorite food to eat?

A: Any kind of stew, chicken, beef. I’m satisfied with any of them.

Q: If the zombie apocalypse begins tomorrow, what would your weapon of choice be?

A: I would say a crowbar, because I don’t want to have to worry about guns and ammo, and it’s long enough that I can keep a distance from them.

Q: If you could be in any band, what band would it be, and what instrument would you play?

A: I would be the lead vocalist in Asking Alexandria because I love to sing, and they’re my favorite band.

Q: Do you have a hidden talent that not many people know about you?

A: My free running abilities because most people look at me and see my weight and think, “nah that guy can’t do a backflip.” Generally when you look at a guy that is 200 pounds, you don’t see any free running happening in their life.

Q: What is your favorite thing to do on a rainy day?

A: I like to swim on a rainy day. It puts me in a relaxed mood.

Q: What would be your first course of action if you were suddenly the new president of the United States?

A: I would legalize marijuana. If the government would legalize and tax it, our country would basically become debt free. There is so much illegal hauling in between states, and it’s just causing way too many problems. With marijuana being legalized, the government would be more worried about the war cause and other serious crimes that are taking place in our states.

Q: If you had any superhero ability, what would it be?

A: Invisibility because I’m such a creeper (laughs).

Q: If you could learn any language at all in the world, what language would you choose?

A: I would learn German because it’s the craziest sounding one. Have you ever heard a speech or something in that language?

Q: If you could create a brand new major for college, what would it be?

A: Procrastination. There’s an art to it, and I believe I’ve mastered it. I procrastinated once in high school on a senior project and received an A, so I feel like no one can top me in that field.

Q: What is your dream job?

A: I would love to be a professional free runner. That would be my dream job. The World Free Running Parkour Federation sponsors competitions where you can get paid.