From student to professor to Colonels’ athletics fan

As a University alumni and Colonel athletics fan, Kit Williams, computer information systems professor, showcases his school pride through his many years of dedication to the University.

Williams is a member of the Nicholls graduating class of 1983 and the master’s program of 1985. This is his 24th year as an educator at the University.

“I started teaching when I was a graduate student,” he said. “I guess by the luck of the draw when I finished my masters’ degree here, they had an opening, and I applied and got picked, and I have been here since.”

Williams did not originally come to college to become a professor. Initially, he did not know what his ideal career path was.

“At 18 years old, I really didn’t know what I wanted to do,” he said. “I think, like most students, I had a lack of direction at the time. I ended up staying out of school for a couple of years and came back more focused.”

As a young adult, Williams said that the responsibility of paying for his own education gave him some motivation to strive harder when it came to his studies.

Williams said that the most rewarding part of his job is being able to interact with his students.

“Most students don’t like mathematics, so when we do things in math, and they start to see success, that is one of the things I like,” Williams said. “My goal here is to teach the students, so seeing them have success is a way for me to see some positive feedback.”

Williams definitely accomplished his goal of seeing his students succeed in their studies. Many of his students have gone on to become successful business owners and college professors.

The life of a college professor may be hectic, but as a member of the Nicholls Athletic Council, Williams finds time to dedicate to Colonel Athletics. As a student, he competed in intramural sports. As an educator, he can be seen cheering on the Colonels at a variety of sporting events.

“I try to attend games in every sport,” he said. “I have been to soccer and volleyball matches, but I must say I really enjoy basketball, baseball and softball.”

Williams said that softball is his favorite out of the bunch.

“I really took a liking to softball here,” he said. “It is a really fast paced game. You can’t blink your eye or you are going to miss something that is why I like it.”

Kit Williams has been a dedicated member of the Nicholls faculty for many years and plans to continue as such for years to come.

“This University holds a special place in my heart,” he said. “My friends tease me and say that they are going to put a tombstone out in the quad for me one day, because I love this University so much. It has been a great place to work. It has been a joy.”