From gridiron greatness back to books and the classroom

Nicholls’ Athletic Hall of Fame adds another group of former student athletes to their ranks this year, including one of the football team’s greats, Greg Greely.
In recent years, Nicholls has found a bit of a niche in sending defensive backs to the NFL. The likes of Chris Thompson, Kareem Moore, Lardarius Webb and Bobby Felder all plied their trade in Thibodaux before joining the professional ranks, but before them, Greely gave opposing quarterbacks nightmares.
Before becoming a defensive back at Nicholls, Greely, a native of Bogalusa, La., played quarterback for Bogalusa High School.
“I had a great career in high school. I only played offense, but I did pretty much everything offensively for us: throwing, [and] running. We had some good teams there,” Greely said. “I had [coaches] against me and knew of me. They offered me to walk-on here at Nicholls State… and I began my career as a walk-on freshman.”
During his stint at Nicholls, 1981-84, the Colonels enjoyed one of their better periods of play under Coach Sonny Jackson and were named Gulf Star Conference Champions in 1984. After three seasons of playing for Nicholls, Greely finished his time in Thibodaux as the Colonels all-time interception leader with 21, a record which stills stands. Greely also holds the record for most interception return yards in a single season. He was selected in the second round of the 1985 United States Football League draft by the San Antonio Gunslingers.
Greely credited working against other Colonel greats, receivers Dwight Walker and Marvin Dumas, during his freshman year in helping him make the transition to the other side of the ball.
“These guys are Hall of Fame receivers here, and they were seniors when I got here, so I had to go up against them. I had quick feet, I had good leaping ability and I had real good speed, so I was able to match up pretty well with them,” he said. “But [although] I was a freshman, I didn’t play as a freshman. I always thought and played as an upperclassman because I knew I could play the game.”
He also gave a nod to fellow former Colonel defensive backs Keith Hodges and Greg Harding who showed him the ropes of both being a student at Nicholls as well as gave him a few points when it came to playing the position that the three of them excelled at.
More impressive than his stats on the field was his decision to return to Nicholls in the Spring of 2012 to complete the 18 hours he needed to earn his bachelor’s degree in general studies.
“Well, I had prayed about it and I asked God that his will be done in my life if he wanted me to go back to school and finish my degree. And I’ve always wanted to do it, but I wanted to pray on it and wanted to make sure that it was God’s will as well as mine,” he said. “I was due to come back before [Hurricane] Katrina, but when Katrina came, it set things back. Well, I guess the timing was right in spring 2012 for me to come back.”
Greely did not only return to Nicholls to pursue his degree. He also serves as a volunteer assistant coach for the Colonels football team.
“By me being a former football player here, a former Colonel, I have something vested, if you will. And I want to see them perform, and I want to see them play at the highest level,” he said. “I encourage these guys to go out and give their best, play their best. Do what you need to do in the classroom, and when you come out here to practice, make the most out of it. You know you can’t play football forever, but while you are playing it, give your 110 percent. Be good at it.”
Greely believes that current players can look back on past teams as a sign that it is possible to win and win consistently at Nicholls through hard work and dedication to the game.
“I wanted to win. I wanted to be a part of something great. I had the opportunity to do it, and I made the best of it,” he said. “So, they need to look at their past players here at Nicholls State and take that and want to exceed that. Don’t just settle for not having good seasons. Strive to be a part of a winning program.”
Greely, along with the other five inductees to the Nicholls Athletics Hall of Fame, will be inducted during an event on Sept. 21 before the Colonels football team takes on Langston University.