Students unsure of rec fees

Construction continues at the site of the future recreation center on Friday.

Students will be charged additional fees to pay for and maintain the new recreational center that will be completed in June 2012.

Students currently pay a building fee and will continue to pay for the next 30 years or as long as someone is a student. Students will also be charged an additional operational fee once the building is up and running.

All students that are enrolled in Nicholls will have to pay these fees. Once students graduate, they will be exempt from paying. The students that have paid the fees to build the rec center may not even be able to use the new facility if they move away or choose not to come back.

“When I graduate, I will not be able to enjoy the rec center because I don’t plan on coming back to Thibodaux,” Rhonda Damond, junior Culinary Arts major from New Orleans said, “So, I don’t want to pay for something that I won’t ever get to experience.”

Upperclassmen are questioning why they are even paying for the rec center.

“Juniors and Seniors should be omitted from paying the fee because we will not be able to experience it,” Shane Price, junior culinary arts major from New Orleans said, “At least the freshman and some sophomores are able to use it.”

Some students are planning to use the rec center after graduation.

“Paying for the rec center is a gift and a curse,” Talia Flugence, sophomore athletic training major from Thibodaux said, “Hopefully, I can return and use the facilities, but there are many other fitness centers that are available to me. “

Some students believe the rec center will be a great addition to the Nicholls community. To others, it is a strain on their pockets. Students will see in the upcoming year if their hard earned money will pay off for the new building.