Assistant professor finds success in writing fiction

Some authors write to have their work published and spread to the masses while others write only as a hobby.

Only a select few are blessed with having their hobby achieve the goal that others devote their entire lives to.

Brigett Scott, assistant professor of allied health sciences, sat down to talk about her book that was recently picked up by Barnes and Noble, Books-A-Million and Amazon.com and is available in both print and eReader formats.

The book, titled “In Love With the Enemy,” is about a small town Southern girl dealing with her brother’s tragic death along with being torn between two men. To make matters worse, both men are hiding ulterior motives and secrets—secrets that may kill her.

Scott began writing the book two years ago during a two-week period when she was off of work and her children were still in school. She came up with the idea for her story and began typing.

“It all flowed pretty quickly, so by the end of the month I had finished my book,” Scott said.

That month was filled with “many hours” of typing.

“I don’t want to make it sound like I typed for like an hour a day,” she said. “I kind of didn’t do anything but type.”

Scott said that she was very happy with her book and could not stop thinking about it, so she sent it to her sister-in-law.

“I said, ‘Please don’t think I’m crazy, but I want to know what you think about this,'” she laughed.

After receiving positive feedback from her sister-in-law, Scott said she began to think that maybe she could do something with her book. She then had a retired English teacher read and edit it for her.

“I told her to be honest with me,” she said. “If it was garbage, I wanted her to tell me because I could take it. She loved it.”

After hearing that at least more than one person liked her book, Scott decided to have her book published through Lulu.com, a company that lets users self-publish, print and sell books, eBooks, photo books and calendars.

After getting it published, Scott submitted her book to eBook vendors like Apple’s iBookstore.

Earlier this month, Scott was checking her Lulu account and noticed that she had sold “a whole bunch more” books than she had the day before.

“I was like, ‘well where did those books go?” she said. “So I started looking on Google for where it was available, and that’s where I saw that Barnes and Noble, Books-A-Million and Amazon all had my book in print. I was doing the happy dance.”

While she still does not know for sure how or why these top vendors chose to pick up her book, Scott does have a theory.

“From what I understand, once a certain amount of time has passed, your book gets listed in a database where bookstores can order copies of it,” she said.

Scott gets about $3.50 for every book that is bought straight through the Lulu website. If it is from the other vendors, however, she makes less because of printing costs.

While this is her only book to be published, Scott said that she has some others on her laptop that she has not done anything with yet.

“I’ve been writing since I was a little girl,” she said. “I have stuff that’s all just hand-written like in journals. I don’t ever really plan on doing anything with it though because it is more personal.”

All of Scott’s stories are fiction, but they are about situations that could potentially happen in real life.

“There are no aliens or vampires or anything like that,” she laughed. “Everybody that is in it is very real, and it has the capability of happening in real life.”

One similarity among all her stories is found in the relationships between characters.

“There is always that relationship struggle in the background, but I like to add a dilemma for the characters to have to try and get out of,” she said.

To Scott, writing was always just a hobby, and she still does not expect to “make a million dollars with it.”

“I really enjoy creating these other places and people that I can make do whatever I want them to do,” she said. “Since it’s fiction, it doesn’t matter how outrageous it is. When people read it, I want them to just be able to relax and enjoy it. It’s just a lot of fun.”