New Literary Collection explores Muslim Lifestyle

The display on the first floor of Ellender Library showcases the collection of books and films that are featured in the “Bridging Cultures Bookshelf

The Ellender Memorial Library, in partnership with the Thibodaux Branch Library, “bridges cultures” with a project filled with books, films and presentations titled “Bridging Cultures Bookshelf: Muslim Journeys.”
The University was awarded this project through a grant offered by the National Endowment for the Humanities. Through this grant, the library received 25 books that will be added to the library’s permanent collection and a one-year subscription to the Oxford Islamic Studies Online program, which is accessible through the library’s online database.
Also, the grant awarded the University with three films titled “Prince Among Slaves,” “Islamic Art” and “Koran by Art.” The University plans to hold screenings to show these films at some point throughout the year. However, students are free to check out any of the films at any time.
Each book has been placed under various categories. These categories are Connected Histories, Literary Reflections, Pathway of Faith, Points of View and American Stories.
Students can preview what “Muslim Journeys” has to offer by viewing the display on the first floor of the library that shows which books are included in the collection along with some cultural information about the Muslim lifestyle.
Hayley Johnson, government information librarian and grants coordinator for the Ellender Memorial Library, said the library believes these grants are an excellent way for the library to receive resources on human interest topics such as the Muslim culture.  
The “Muslim Journeys” project is only one of a series of grants offered by the National Endowment for the Humanities. Johnson said the entire process for applying for this grant took about three months. Nicholls is among 953 libraries to obtain the entire collection of the “Muslim Journeys” project. Currently, the University is looking to expand its selection of cultural literature in the library by applying for other grants.   
“We are hoping that the cover work of, the books grabs students attention so that they’ll read and see that we have presentations going on,” Johnson said. “Something hopefully will strike their interest, and they can check out the materials.”
Along with the books and films, two presentations also will be offered for students to get a taste of the Muslim culture.
Adeline Masquelier, Tulane University’s Department of Anthropology Chairperson will give a presentation titled “Women, Islam, Family and Agency in West Africa” on Sept. 18 at 1:45p.m. in Peltier Auditorium. Masquelier was selected by the Thibodaux Branch Library to come and speak to the University.
Masquelier began her research regarding West Africa in 1988. Since then, she has penned two books, written articles and book chapters regarding her research. Masquelier gained much success in 2010 when her book, Women and Islamic Revival in a West African Town received two awards, the 2010 Herskovits Prize and the 2012 Aidoo-Snyder Prize both for best scholarly work regarding Africa.
Next month, Nicholls’ own Kurt Stiegler, assistant history and geography professor, will be contributing to the Muslim discussion on campus in regards to Pakistan in his presentation titled “Forging Pakistan: Iqbal, Jinnal and Muslim National Identity.”
Stiegler began conducting his research on United States and Pakistan security relations when he received a grant from the American Institute of Pakistan Studies. Steglier’s presentation will be held from 1:30-3p.m. in Peltier Auditorium on Oct. 1.