Instructor conducts presidential poll with students

Nearly 10 percent, or 630 students, of the Nicholls student population were polled about their political views in lieu of the upcoming political election, according to surveys conducted by two sections of James Barnidge’s American History 256 class.
    “We took a sample in two of my classes and since there are 6,606 students enrolled this semester, this is a huge response from students,” Barnidge said. “Normally you don’t have a sample that’s that large, but I had the students who were willing to do the work. I believe this survey will be very accurate due to the amount of entries.”
    This type of survey is done every semester, but normally the questions focus on the state of our country’s economy and the approval or disapproval of the president and his actions. Due to the election that will be held November 6, these questions ranged from a number of issues that examine the credentials and the ability of both Mitt Romney, the republican candidate, and the democratic incumbent, Barak Obama.
    Initially, students were asked what they thought was the biggest problem facing America today. The two biggest concerns were unemployment, which received 35 percent of votes, and the national deficit, ranked second with 26 percent.
    As of August, the Bureau of Labor Statistics released that unemployment was tallied at 8.1 percent, leaving 12.5 million people jobless. Updated statistics for the month of September will be released Oct. 5.  
    According to U.S. Treasury Department, the United States’ national deficit is over 16 trillion dollars. Republicans are using Obama’s allowance of the deficit to spiral out of control against the incumbent, promising to cut spending and reduce the deficit.  On the contrary, democrats prefer to spend government money and raise taxes. Barnidge believes both are necessary to improve our economic state.
    “I think people are slowly starting to realize that both are necessary over a long period of time,” Barnidge said. ” Republicans want to cut, cut, cut, and the democrats want to raise taxes to save social programs. However, they are both right and wrong because without both, the numbers do not add up.”
    Consequently, the poll showed that 54 percent of people believe Romney will be more economically sound as president. Despite his economic prowess, Obama won foreign policy with 52 percent and was chosen as a better  candidate for education.
    Though Romney was considered to share social views with the majority of entrants, Obama was voted to be more in touch with the average American.
    One question on the survey relates to a very important state law that could potentially deny people the right to vote. The Pennsylvania state court upheld a bill that allowed polling stations to require a photographic identification to vote.  Judge Robert Simpson, the judge who upheld this new law, says voters will be asked to produce an ID, but those voters who show up to vote will not be turned away.
    According to a story done by the New York Times, this Pennsylvania law is one of 11 others that have been passed by republican-dominated legislatures around the country in various states. Democrats have accused the republicans of doing this to eliminate poor, less-fortunate minorities from voting. However, the republicans stress that their interest in these bills is to prevent voter fraud.
    Other questions involved students’ beliefs in certain areas of life. An overwhelming majority of students, a whopping 85 percent, believe guns should not be carried on campus. 57 percent of students would not oppose a mosque built in their town, and only 45 percent of students would be willing to pay higher taxes to reduce cuts to education and healthcare.
    Ultimately, the students were asked, as of October 1, whom would they vote for.  Romney led with 41 percent, Obama trailed with 39 percent, and 20 percent were unsure. However, there are 11 total candidates running to be the next Commander-in-Chief.
    Barnidge stressed that there is ample time for people to inform themselves and change their opinion if necessary.
    “This survey is just a snapshot in time,” Barnidge said. “If the election were held today, Obama would win because in some of the toss-up states, he has a double digit lead. But that is subject to change if he struggles with the debate.”
    “We still have a month to go, which is an eternity,” Barnidge said. “Polls, in their essence, are nothing but snapshots in time.”