Race for Their Future benefits Max students’ education

Participants get on their mark at last year’s Race for their Future.

The Max Charter School will hold their sixth annual “Race for their Future” on Saturday, March 29 at John L. Guidry Stadium.
Participants of the one-mile race will kick off the “Race for their Future” at 9:30 a.m., and the 5K participants will start the race at 10:30 a.m.
The cost to participate per person for each race is $25, which will include participation in the races, food and drinks and the many different activities that will be held. If registered before March 10, participants are guaranteed a t-shirt.
“Our whole mission is dedicated to help children read, which will then make the students have a better quality of life,” said Director of The Max Charter School Linda Musson. “The better you can read, the better the quality of life you will have. Come and support us because these students are bright and intelligent. We are a small school, and we do not get tax dollars, so we run off of fundraisers, and this is the biggest fundraiser that we have.”
After the races, The Max Charter School will have food and drinks, finger and face painting, DNA testing, arts and crafts, balloon art, silent auctions and bounce houses for the participants to enjoy while awards for the races are being announced.
Items at the silent auction will consist of artwork, photographs, Loisiana State University lamps, gift baskets and a variety of other items.
The Max Charter School is also selling raffle tickets for $5 each, which will consist of prizes such as a family vacation package to go to Disney World valued at $5,000, gift certificates, a weekend condo getaway and other prizes. The winners of the raffle tickets will be announced at the end of the races, and the winners do not have to be present to win. Those who are interested in purchasing a raffle ticket can go to The Max Charter School on NSU-Afton Drive in Thibodaux.
The Max Charter School has been open since August 2007, and their mission is to be committed to meeting the educational needs of students with dyslexia and other language-related differences. The school’s mission is to empower the lives of those students who learn differently.
The school can accept 120 students, ranging from first grade to eighth grade students who have dyslexia and any other learning disabilities.
According to Parent Teacher Association President Vanessa Benoit, all the funds from the race will go to help fund the projects that continue the education of students with dyslexia and other learning-related disorders. This year, the school has already raised $45,000 to go towards the education.
According to Musson, The Max Charter School works in collaboration with Nicholls. Some of the speech professors from the University will go and work with the students at the charter school. Max also offers education majors the opportunity to student teach at the school. She also mentioned that their door is always open for education majors to evaluate the students.
Anyone interested in competing in the races or attending the events after The race, can either go to the Max Charter School to register or can register this Saturday before the race.