Bra fittings at Dillard’s raise cancer awareness

Dillard’s Department Store, located in the Southland Mall in Houma, will bring awareness to breast cancer by donating $2 to Susan G. Komen for the Cure for every woman who comes in for a bra fitting on Oct. 18 from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Susan G. Komen for the Cure was founded in 1982 in order to raise awareness and find solutions in the fight against breast cancer.

In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Dillard’s is hosting this event to support those who have breast cancer or survived having breast cancer. The event also honors those who have passed away from breast cancer. 

If someone buys a Wacoal brand bra, a total of $4 will be donated to the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

Andrea Ashley, sales and business manager at Dillard’s, described the event as a “big bra party raising awareness for breast cancer.”

Thibodaux Regional Hospital will be at Dillard’s passing out information about breast cancer awareness. Refreshments will also be served.

Some Nicholls students who are members of Women Involved in Self-Empowerment will also be volunteering for the event. 

Alicia Kozak, graduate psychological counseling student from Denham Springs, said she thinks everyone should be knowledgeable about breast cancer, not just women.

“We really need to step back and see that this is a global issue,” Kozak said.  “It is not just for women but for men as well.”

According to The National Breast Cancer Foundation, breast cancer is the most common form of cancer found in women and the second leading cause of death in women.  About one in eight women will get breast cancer.

Though breast cancer in men is uncommon, about 2,150 men will be diagnosed with the disease annually in the United States.

Ashley said that this event is important to her because one of the most important women in her life survived the disease.

“My grandmother had breast cancer,” Ashley said. “It’s very meaningful to me because she is one of the most important women in my life and she always fought for women’s rights and always made sure that I knew that I was just as important as anyone else. To know that my grandmother survived that was amazing. It encouraged me to study what I did in college.”

Call Dillard’s at 985-873-6100 to schedule a fitting or walk in and ask for assistance from an associate.