Colonel Close Up

Student takes on class clown role
Ashton Gibson, freshman from Morgan City, lifts weights during his free time after class on April 4 in the weight lifting room.

As a class clown in the Nicholls community, Ashton Gibson, freshman from Morgan City, loves to make people laugh.

While working at the local Lowes, Gibson can be found with a big smile on his face in the lawn and garden section. He calls himself a class clown because he likes to turn serious situations into enjoyable conversations. When he is not being goofy, he enjoys playing football and hanging out with close friends.

Q: If you walked up to anybody, what would be something they would say about you?

A: When people see me, they know I am a clown. When I meet people, I make a joke with the first thing that pops in my head.

Q: What childhood superhero did you want to be when you were young?

A: I wanted to be the Green Lantern. I wanted the suit, the ring and everything.

Q: What impact do you want to make in this world?

A: I want to encourage younger kids to be whatever or whoever they want to be. It does not matter where they are from as long as they work hard for it. Go for it.

Q: What is the funniest thing you have ever done?

A: My senior year in high school, we were chasing down freshmen to mess with them in my friend’s neighborhood. The concrete was uneven, so I fell and somersaulted down the street. I got a big scar on the back of my shoulder. It doesn’t sound funny, but it was to me.

Q: What is one hobby that you like to do that no one is aware of?

A: I write poetry. I have about 50 or 60 poems that I have written.

Q: What is one thing that people do not know about you?

A: I have probably one of the worst attitudes that people would not want to see, so when you push my button, it’s over. I have a bad temper.

Q: If you can change one bad thing in the world, what would it be?

A: I want to get rid of negativity. It is because people let the little things get to them, and it messes up their whole day. I know I do it sometimes, but I get over it. It is not necessary to hold on to that negativity.

Q: Who is your favorite musical artist?

A: Right now, my favorite artist is Kanye West. He is making music like nobody else is doing. He is talking about things that are different than anybody else’s.

Q: What is your ideal meal from home?

A: My meal from home would be my mom’s shrimp stew, my grandmother’s potato salad and my mom’s homemade peach cobbler.

Q: Where do you see yourself in five years?

A: I see myself playing in the NFL or playing semi-pro football.

Q: If you could make a new rule at Nicholls, what would it be?

A: I believe a person has to be average in their look. People should not walk around looking any kind of way. I understand people try to have a comfortable day, but some people look too comfortable. It looks bad.

Q: What is your most memorable pastime?

A: I loved hanging with my grandfather. He was the only person on the planet that understood me. I liked to hang out with him every chance I got.