Wetlands festival addresses need for coastal restoration

The Voice of the Wetlands Festival, VOW, gives the Houma area a dose of culture and music while aiming to address the need for coastal restoration throughout the nation.
VOW, founded by Grammy nominee and 2012 Blues Music Awards’ Blues Musician of the Year Tab Benoit, is a free event hosted by the Voice of the Wetlands foundation and is scheduled for Oct. 12 through Oct. 14 at the Southdown Museum and Plantation Grounds in Houma.
American blues artists Elvin Bishop and Mickey Thomas of Starship will give this year’s headlining performance on Oct. 13th. Elvin Bishop is a traveling blues and rock-and-roll musician from California who has been a traveling musician since 1963. Thomas is an American blues and rock singer from Georgia who is best known for founding the rock band Starship, a spin-off band of the group Jefferson Starship. Bishop’s song “Fooled Around and Fell in Love,” featuring Mickey Thomas, became a record chart hit in 1976.
VOW also features The Voice of the Wetlands All-Stars who, along with performing throughout the state, also raise awareness about erosion happening along the Gulf Coast. Group members include Tab Benoit, Cyril Neville, Corey Duplechin, Johnny Vidacovich, Big Chief Monk Boudreaux, Johnny Sansone and Waylon Thibodeaux.
“The Voice of the Wetlands All-Stars are recognized by rave reviews and sold out performances across the nation as a truly talented cultural and blues musical ensemble.”  VOW Communications Director and Festival Volunteer Coordinator Percy Rodriguez said.
Other musical performances include Louisiana LeRoux featuring Fergie Frederiksen, Dash Rip Rock, Beausoleil avec Michael Doucet, Mike Zito, Honey Island Swamp Band, The Hollywood Reunion, Friday Night Guitar Fights, The original Wild Magnolias, Sol Driven Train, Ben Labat and Happy Devil, St. Lucy Choir, Heath Ledet and the Blue Label Trio, Tommy G and Stormy Weather, Big Daddy O, Ed Willis and Blues for Sale, Terri McPhail Chiasson, Christian Serpas and Ghost Town and Chubby Carrier and Bayou Swamp Band.
Rodriguez said that festivalgoers can expect rich Cajun culture throughout this event.
“[This will be] a weekend long celebration with a perfect mix of music, food, dance and drink, all within a festival atmosphere.” Rodriguez said. “Exhibitors educate and share their knowledge of all aspects related to coastal land loss, as well as plans and strategies for sustainability.”
Throughout festival grounds festival-goers can participate in a variety of activities, including a silent auction, a children’s area, art exhibits featuring south Louisiana artists, wetland exhibits, the festival’s annual raffle and the 5k-10k Race for the Wetlands.
Along with many activities occurring throughout the festival, the crowd also can expect a variety of food choices, mainly inspired by Cajun cuisine.
“The festival’s Cajun food fare teases the visitor’s palate with traditional Cajun dishes like jambalayas and sauce piquantes while still offering a selection of classic American fair food.” Rodriguez said.
Rodriguez believes what VOW stands for is something worth volunteering time to.
“As a volunteer going into my 7th year of support for the Voice of the Wetlands, my belief is that I have truly found a cause worthy of my time and effort. It is a cause dedicated to saving my Cajun culture, my community and the land of my ancestors,” Rodriguez said.
People interested in volunteering for VOW can go to the volunteer sign-up table at the festival, beginning Oct. 12, and sign-up.