Opinion: Does passion justify stupidity? Part II

Last week, I closed my column with a list Forbes.com put out for the most hated athletes. This past week, leading up to Super Bowl XLVIII, Seattle Seahawks Cornerback Richard Sherman has been the hot topic.
After he broke up the pass that won the National Football Conference Championship, he called out San Francisco ’49ers receiver Michael Crabtree. In a post-game interview, Sherman shouted “I’m the best corner in the game! When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that’s the result you’re gonna get! Don’t you ever talk about me!” After he was asked who was talking about him, he then went on to say, “Crabtree. Don’t you open your mouth about the best ,or I’m gonna shut it for you real quick.”
It was that moment that he became the most scrutinized athlete on the planet. The fans were outraged by his World Wrestling Entertainment-like promo. Before I get into the details of some of the terms used to describe Sherman, I want to know why fans are outraged.
The rivalry and the trash talk had been brewing since the Seahawks and ’49ers became two of the best teams in the NFL. It has been a back and forth battle of words since Jim Harbaugh, head coach of the ’49ers, and Pete Carroll, head coach of the Seahawks, took over in their respective helms. Harbaugh has called out Carroll’s coaching style and said that the Seahawks had a performance enhancing drug (PED) problem within the team. The nature of these two teams, especially the Seahawks, is built around trash talk.
I can respect your opinion if you may not like trash talk. That is understandable. But people are outright bashing Sherman for it on social media, so why preach how your intolerant of trash talk by trash talking (more commonly known as “trolling”) Sherman? Classic mix-up. I love your blind sense to hypocrisy.
Sherman talked trash and he was called various names such as “classless,” “uneducated,” “monkey” and “thug.”
First of all, I hate the term “class.” The term itself just sounds stuck up. Let’s take a look at something considered “classy:” golf resorts. Augusta National Golf Club, where the Masters are held, did not allow black members until 1990. Prior to that, all caddies had to be black. It did not allow women until 2012 when Condoleeza Rice and Darla Moore joined. Chairman of the club, Billy Payne, ripped Tiger Woods for cheating on his wife. Really? You are discussing morals when it took you six years as chairman to allow women to join Augusta. Oh please! Someone fetch me escargot, a bottle of vintage Dom Perignon and a Bentley so I may be classy too!
The other popular thought is that Sherman is uneducated. He is currently pursuing a master’s degree from Stanford University. He already has a degree in communication from the prestigious university. I can say with full confidence that he knows what he is doing when he opens his mouth. Getting into Stanford is impressive as is, but Sherman came out of Compton to get there. He avoided the gang life in a place where the Bloods and Crips are well known. He went to a high school which has a graduation rate of 57 percent and finished second in his class with a 4.2 GPA while taking honors courses. Say all you would like, but he is not uneducated.  
I think we already know the term “monkey” is racist, but “thug” has become the new watered down version of another word that I am just not willing to say. The word “thug” is casted out every time a black athlete runs their mouth or does something remotely questionable, especially in the case of Sherman. I am glad the media and some fans are finally starting to address the issue because it is one that deserves our attention. Sherman runs his mouth and is labeled a “thug” almost immediately after his WWE-like promo. People were tweeting him saying he is a “thug.” If you think that it is okay, I would be inclined to say there is some racism at work. Oh, and please spare me the “I have a black friend” speech. You automatically associated a black man you have never met as a “thug” because he ran his mouth after a championship game when emotions were running high. Justin Bieber is all over the news right now for questionable decisions, but I haven’t heard “thug.” When reports initially surfaced about former Miami Dolphins offensive lineman Richard Incognito allegedly bullying Jonathan Martin, I did not hear “thug.”
Sherman is the best cornerback in the NFL right now. He was targeted twice during the NFC Championship and he made the big play that won them the game. People claim he takes away from the team by making it all about him. Clearly, since the Seahawks just dominated the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII. I believe the saying goes “it is not bragging if you back it up.”
If you hold the opinion of not liking trash talk, fine. I will give you five names of polarizing athletes who many people adore: Michael Jordan, Muhammed Ali, Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant and Reggie Miller. You know what they all have in common? They are kings of talking trash.
Jordan called out a number of people during his hall of fame speech including players, coaches and front office executives. He made sure to call out his high school coach who elected to not put him on the varsity roster his sophomore year.
Ali’s name is almost synonymous with the art (yes, I called it an art) of trash talk: “I’m going to show you how great I am.”
Bird walked into a 3-point contest and said, “Which one of you are coming in second?”
Bryant said after winning his fifth NBA title, “I have one more ring than Shaq (who won three titles together in the early 2000s), so take that to the bank.”
Miller made the the “choke” sign famous when he did it to the New York Knicks and Spike Lee during their bitter rivalry in the 1990s. ESPN’s 30-for-30 documentary called “Winning Time,” depicts the trash talk and the rivalry. The documentary is widely considered one of the most popular of the series.
Imagine if all those guys played during the social media age. Everyone would have a field day. Do you really hate trash talk, or do you just hold a double standard for certain athletes? I think sports fans have become too soft.