The NFL and other leagues should ban the N-word

While the NFL explores the idea of implementing a 15-yard penalty for the use of the “n-word,” a recent report from ESPN’s Outside the Lines featured an hour-long special about the word and opinions on the situation from various sources. (Side note, this policy would penalize other prejudice slurs.)
Some of the people included in the report were ESPN’s Pardon the Interruption host Michael Wilbon, ESPN Sports Writer Jason Whitlock, Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark and hip hop artist Common. Interviews were conducted with former players such as basketball legend Kareem Abdul-Jabar and football legend Warren Moon.
I found it to be one of the best Outside the Lines reports I have ever seen and recommend everyone, not just sports fans, to watch it. It explored the history of “the n-word” as well as how it has evolved into today’s society.
Once, a word that was never to be uttered has now been embraced and used by not just the black community, but everyone as a term of endearment. The use of it is commonplace in the sports world and society.
There are many outlooks on the word: some refuse to use it at all, some think only black people can use it and some think everyone can use it, in the right context of course.
Whitlock said the word “should be buried and have a funeral.” The n-word is thrown around too vicariously today. I think it can be hurtful to certain people and I believe we should respect that. I hate seeing people use the word in public because there could be a 74-year-old black man who may have had a bad experience with that word. It carries more weight than people understand. Being that it is Black History Month, what would the peaceful Martin Luther King, Jr., who in my humble opinion is one of the most iconic figures in all of American history and certainly one of my favorites, say about the entire situation?
There have been a lot of questions and outrage about the proposal because of how commonplace the word is. People are not sure how it could even be policed. I think they have a legitimate concern because they want the best possible product on the field. Having a 15-yard penalty for use of the n-word could potentially impact the outcome of the game.
I beckon the question, “well, why can’t players be held accountable and have some self-control?” People may say, “well it’s not that easy.” Sure it is. They do it for post-game press conferences saying all the right things. You don’t hear athletes and/or coaches addressing the media with the n-word.
What you do with your friends in private is your business (at least I won’t know about it that way). But in a workplace setting, I think maybe it is time to reevaluate and discuss. Sure, “it’s the culture of the game.”
The culture of sports used to not allow black athletes to partake in sports,.That has since changed. Why can’t the use of the n-word be changed? Why can’t the word just not be used, and not just in sports, but at all?
I would be lying if I said I have never used it. I have used it to say “hello” to a friend. When I was 12 or so, I called a black friend of mine that word because I was pissed at something he did. I caught a fist to the jaw for it and rightfully so. The older I get, the more I despise the word itself and try to limit myself using it despite hearing it from some of favorite artists and movies.
I believe First Take’s Skip Bayless said it best:
“God help us if today’s rampant use of the n-word – by rappers and athletes and movie-makers, black and white – is subliminally signaling to white kids that it’s somehow okay to view black people in remotely the same way many of this country’s forefathers did: as subhumans mostly suited for enslaving and serving a superior race.”
I believe in adaptability and changing to cater to your environment, but the n-word just isn’t something I am willing to accept nor feel completely comfortable with. Just like I don’t feel comfortable with other racial slurs.