RELATE event to remember student Andrew Carter

Andrew Carter performs at a RELATE Open-Mic night last year. Tonight’s RELATE to Young and Restless will be a tribute to Carter, who passed away in December in a car crash.

Tonight’s RELATE, “Young and Restless: Remembering Andrew Carter,” is a tribute to the Nicholls student who passed away last December in a car accident.
This RELATE event is the second of the semester and will take place March 20 at 7 p.m. in the Bollinger Student Union’s Mardi Gras room. This theme is a chance for anyone to speak about the death of a loved one.
Speech instructor Farren Clark has been coordinating the RELATE program since its inception three years ago.
RELATE is an open mic night that welcomes all forms of creative expression: poetry, song and dance. Students are encouraged to be unique and share in whichever direction they choose. The themes are simply open-ended guidelines.
Clark, who has always had an appreciation and interest in words and their expression, said that when he was a student here, there was no regular space for open-mic style performing.
“It’s not so much about the writing and sharing your own [thoughts]. It’s really the listening and the learning about others, whoever they are,” Clark said. ” When we really listen, we learn something new every day if we listen for it.”
Clark stressed the importance of listening to learn. “RELATE encourages you to not only think about your own work and how you can connect it to the theme, but to listen how others do the same thing,” Clark said. “It provides a common ground while giving space to the differences: different points of views, delivery and styles.”
Carter was a football player and often performed at other RELATE events. He wrote and sang his own songs while playing guitar.
“Drew Carter was one of those people that commanded attention, not by commanding attention,” Clark said. “He commanded attention by his humility, by his ability to connect with people.”
Some of those closest to Carter described him as “young and restless,” which inspired the theme of the night.
“He never settled. He would really work toward becoming better at whatever he was doing,” Clark said.
In reference to his musical talents and singing ability, Clark said that Carter was constantly looking for ways to share his creativity.
 “You never really know what RELATE will be like. It’s open mic, and every night stands out for that very reason. Sharing and listening, that’s what makes it fun,” Clark said.  
Students, faculty and members of the community who are interested in participating are asked to arrive five to 10 minutes early to sign up. Auxiliary Services will provide refreshments.