Ellender Library jumpstarts Black History Month

The Ellender Memorial Library, in conjunction with the Thibodaux Branch Library, kicks off Black History Month with a series of films which are a part of the “Created Equal: America’s Civil Rights Struggle” grant.
The library received this grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History. The purpose of this grant is to “encourage communities to revisit the history of civil rights in the United States and examine the ideals of freedom and equality that have helped to define our country,” according to Hayley Johnson, government information librarian.
The films included in this grant will be available for check out in the Ellender Library and will become a part of the permanent library collection. Films included in this grant include “The Abolitionists,” “Slavery by Another Name,” “The Loving Story” and “Freedom Riders.”
Assistant librarian Sarah Simms said she believes the film that would most likely appeal to students is “Freedom Riders” because it is centered around young people fighting to make a difference.
This film not only highlights African-American people making a difference, but white Americans as well.
Some of these four films will be showcased throughout the month of February at the Thibodaux Branch Library beginning at 5 p.m. on Feb. 11, with the screening of “The Loving Story.” This film features the story of Richard and Mildred Loving, a couple who was arrested in 1958 for interracial marriage. After the film screening, sociology professor Deborah Moorhead will lead a discussion regarding the film.
“The Abolitionists” will be shown at 2 p.m. on Feb. 15 at the Thibodaux Parish Library. Throughout this three-episode series, the stories of famous figures in history are shown through reenactments. For example, “The Abolitionists” features stories about notable figures such as Frederick Douglass, William Lloyd Garrison, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Angelina Grimke and John Brown. There will also be a discussion about this film after its screening.
These films will also be shown later in the semester during Jubilee: A Festival of the Arts and Humanities hosted by the University.
This grant also allows for special performances in connection with the Civil Rights Movement. This past Monday, a series of performances were kicked off with the Crazy ‘Bout History presentation, which showcased portrayals of historical African-American heroes.
On Feb. 13, Louisiana author and poet, Jamie Mayse, will be at the Thibodaux Branch Library reading some of her work, which focuses on the experience of being a southern African-American woman throughout the years.
Johnson said these films are not just to be referenced for history purposes, but also to get people thinking about how life is today.
“I was surprised to find out what was happening in the Civil Rights Movements. It’s something about having the visuals that really sends it home. We are hoping that it is eye-opening to people,” Johnson said.
Although Black History Month only lasts throughout Feb., the Ellender Library plans to keep the topic of the Civil Rights Movement relevant through a new exhibit coming in October called “Changing America.”