Library should require student-assessed fee

There are three distinct epochs at Nicholls: midterms, research papers and final exams. Last week, to the joy of students, teachers and food service employees alike, midterms were put behind us. Now, somewhat hesitantly, we begin focusing on every college student’s most anticipated assignment- the research paper.However, before the research paper can come to life, we must first stumble into the building some Nicholls students still have trouble finding, the Ellender Memorial Library. Yes, that’s the cream-colored building behind Bollinger Memorial Student Union.

A double major in history and English, research topic ideas for me are endless. However, every semester my imagination and premature creativity surrenders to outdated books, limited electronic databases, journal holdings and the slow process of interlibrary loan. Yes, this is the library of a school that calls itself “Harvard on the Bayou.”

If you’re like me, you’ve already found the solution to this problem-making a pilgrimage to ULL or LSU to borrow books with friends who attend those universities. Although inconvenient for the busy student, these trips usually prove to be well worth the gas cost. Yet I wonder about other solutions to this problem, solutions I was once opposed to but that appear to be rather successful as of the recent passing of a new student-assessed fee.

Pause now, breath deeply and listen to the pages of the newspaper turning in unison across the campus. After all, who likes more taxes?

My college career began, and is now ending, with substantial increases in student-assessed fees. Four years at Nicholls have cost me $600 on a recreation center I will never have the opportunity to use. However, just recently I have begun to assess these student-assessed fees somewhat differently.

At the athletic fee forum, many athletes argued, and rightly so, that Nicholls athletics is not properly funded, is the lowest in the conference and argued more money means more competitiveness. I agree.

But what about the academic nucleus of Nicholls, placed strategically in the center? How can the University compete academically if its library is not up to par?

If the student body is willing to assess student fees to compete with athletic departments across the state, then it’s long overdue to do the same for the world of academia, the library-the reason athletics exists.