Football coach uses two quarterbacks

Freshman quarterback Vincent Montgomery runs from a Southeastern defender in the Colonels 14-10 Homecoming victory over Southeastern Oct. 7.

Freshman quarterback Vince Montgomery and junior quarterback Chris Bunch began preseason training camp competing for the starting job, but six games into the season both have seen playing time in the Colonels’ offense. Even though their numbers may not look impressive on a stat sheet, Thomas says both quarterbacks have their own special talents.

“Chris is very talented and is becoming more comfortable with the offense,” Thomas says. “He has a strong arm, and he’s a great all-around athlete. He’s getting better, and you can see he’s getting more comfortable.”

Montgomery, on the other hand, brings something else to the table, according to Thomas.

“Vince is still young, but he has a good feel for the game,” Thomas says. “He’s done a good job and will continue to improve.”

Offensive coordinator H.T. Kinney says both quarterbacks have knowledge of the game.

“Vince has been running this offense for four years in high school, plus he played a little last year,” Kinney says. “He brings that, which is huge, to this team. Chris has an unbelievable amount of athleticism.”

Despite having their own traits, both have similarities in the offense as well.

“Both have been working extremely hard at it,” Kinney says. “We’re just trying to see what is the best opportunity for the team and try and work them in both because we know at some point we’re going to need them both.”

Despite being named the starting quarterback at the beginning of the season, Montgomery says he has no problem sharing time with Bunch.

“It’s been good, we’re both trying to get as many reps as we can,” Montgomery says. “They are trying to give us the opportunity to see what we have. It’s been great for the both of us.”

So far this season, Montgomery has compiled 176 yards rushing and 210 yards passing with one touchdown in each category. Bunch, on the other hand, has 38 passing yards and 61 rushing yards with one touchdown.

In the option offense which Nicholls currently runs, the quarterback has multiple responsibilities, according to Kinney.

“They (Bunch and Montgomery) understand that in this system you are a running back more than a quarterback,” Kinney says. “It’s important to have two quarterbacks because even in the NFL not every running back plays every play.”

Bunch came to Nicholls from Rainy River Community College in Florida where he rushed for 313 yards and threw for 1,233 in just nine games.

Montgomery red-shirted last season but prepped at Kingsville in Texas where he played quarterback and defensive back.

Although they are still competing against each other, Bunch and Montgomery have become best friends, something that has caught the eye of Thomas.

“They work with each other,” Thomas says. “Even though they are competing, it takes the whole group effort to get it done.”

Montgomery says it is important to have a relationship with his fellow teammate.

“We always encourage each other out there,” Montgomery says. “When he’s out there I’m like, ‘Man, what did you see out there?’ to let me know what I’m going against. We’ve been very supportive of each other.”

Bunch agreed the two have developed a bond.

“We have become good friends on and off the field,” Bunch says. “After practice we talk and play around. We grew together well.”

Even though the two committed a total of six turnovers in Saturday’s loss to Sam Houston, Thomas says he has confidence both guys will improve.

“We’re still going to keep both guys working,” Thomas says. “We’ve got confidence in their abilities and what they can do. In this offense we have to continue to work the quarterbacks, and they still have to get in the game.”

Montgomery says the turnovers are something both quarterbacks have been working to fix.

“We’re going to get it together,” Montgomery says. “We can’t win a game with six turnovers. We’ll get it right against Northwestern.”

Montgomery, however, suffered an injury, so Bunch is expected to get more playing time.

“I know that I have to get in there and get things done,” Bunch says. “I’m the number one guy right now.

Junior quarterback Chris Bunch prepares to throw a pass at the Sept. 23 game against South Dakota State. (File Photo)