Track teams look to future with promise

The history of the cross-country team at Nicholls may not be one of success, but second-year Head Coach Scott Williamson is making every effort to change that. Despite the past, Williamson has already taken steps to ensure things change for the team.

In the off-season, Williamson received commitments from 19 new runners; all of whom he says will significantly help this team in the near future.

“I think a lot of them bought into what we are trying to do here,” Williamson said. “They understand that we haven’t been very good in the past but are going to be good in the future. It’s an opportunity for them to be part of a program that is on the rise.”

With the season currently at its home stretch, Williamson said he has already seen a significant improvement in the squad.

“They all put in a solid summer of training,” Williamson said. “We are starting to see some of the results.”

The Colonels had three athletes place in the opening meet at Southern Mississippi Sept. 8.

Sophomore sprinter Charlotte Everhardt and junior runner Eunice Jepkogei finished 11th and 13th for the women, while sophomore runner Jory Billiot finished 15th for the men.

Billiot and Jepkogei paved the way once again for the Colonels at the Ragin Cajun Invitational Sept. 18 in Lafayette. Out of more than 50 runners participating on each side, Jepkogei finished 12th, and Billiot finished 25th.

The Colonels and the Lady Colonels placed once again at the LSU Tiger Cross Country Festival Sept. 23 with Jepkogei finishing 23rd and Everhardt finishing 25th overall. Billiot led the men’s side again with a 36th place finish.

Williamson said the men’s side is slowly starting to progress.

“They are continuing to get better and are starting to round into shape,” Williamson said. “We’re looking for good performances from them in the near future.”

Billiot and Everhardt led the way once again for the Colonels and the Lady Colonels Oct. 6 at the NSU Open in Natchitoches. Everhardt finished 14th while Jepkogei also finished in the top 20 with a 16th place finish. Billiot finished 25th.

One runner who has stood out in the four meets is Everhardt, who Williamson said has really improved. Everhardt, who ran two seasons ago, returned to the Lady Colonels this season after taking last season off to live with her father in Germany.

“She has dropped her times tremendously from her freshman year,” Williamson said. “She’s come back and has done above and beyond anything I could ever expect.”

Only the Southland Conference Championships on Oct. 28 remain for the cross-country teams, and although Williamson expects his team to run hard, they are still a couple years away from being a serious contender.

“I think we will be fairly competitive in cross country next year with the newcomers we have,” Williamson said. “As far as track and field, we are going to be competitive in certain areas such as our sprints and hurdles group. As a team we are still two or three years away from being in that upper third of schools in the conference.”

One thing Williamson has encouraged for the team is more community involvement, as many of the other Nicholls athletes from other sports teams have done. In order to do so, the teams are taking part in the Race for the Cure Saturday.

“Our track and field program hasn’t been a really large program,” Williamson said. “We’re definitely building it up, and we want to reach out into the community, be more visible and partake in a lot of events.