College football meets the WWF

I must admit when I was a young boy I had a vast obsession with wrestling. I was one of the millions of Hulk-a-maniacs who trained, said my prayers and ate my vitamins. I had Hulk Hogan bed sheets, suspenders, video games and action figures. I even had the entire red and yellow outfit. I was a man unleashed. Even though I still have a case of action figures picked up in my closet for some unknown reason, I’ve turned away from the chair swinging, pile-driving world known as professional wrestling.

I will still occasionally watch wrestling if I’m at home with nothing to do, but with college and work, I’m always busy, so that rarely happens.

I know many of you are probably wondering where I’m getting at, but Oct. 14 brought back memories.

With Nicholls playing away against Sam Houston, I decided to take in the LSU game against Kentucky.

It was great sitting with the airplanes and the moon in the nosebleed section, but even I had no idea memories of my childhood would come back to me once I returned home late Saturday night.

Since I did not get updated on any of my scores for the day, I turned on ESPN and watched SportsCenter when, it hit me like a bag of rocks.

The main story was not of the baseball playoffs or unranked Indiana’s upset of Iowa, it was instead the 10-minute “wrestling match” between the University of Miami and Florida International University.

They had it all, from helmet swinging to body slams. I saw moves cut out only for Wrestle-mania on pay-per-view. Moves that could have brought the Hulk Hogan/Andre the Giant match to its knees.

For a brief minute I thought Vince McMahon had discovered a way to buy college football. Thankfully McMahon didn’t buy college football because we all know how great the XFL worked out for him.

I sat there simply amazed as the two teams battled in the “No Holds Barred” main event. I knew Miami, or “The U” as they refer to themselves, was struggling, but to fight with poor Florida International befuddles me.

In most sports, athletes are taught discipline and how to let the play on the field do all the trash talking. Sure, Florida International may have instigated the fight, but the players on both sides should have been a little more disciplined.

Trust me, I’m not pointing the finger at anyone. I was actually entertained. So much so that I found the incident on YouTube and played it for all of those who did not see it.

I know it probably was not a big deal to some people, but to a former fan of the then WWF, it was a connection to childhood.

Even though I will never get action figures of anyone involved in the brawl, it was still well suited for pay-per-view television.

McMahon could have made tons on this by dubbing it the “Battle at the Bowl.” I bet McMahon is kicking himself for not jumping on this sooner.