Disney seeks student interns for upcoming semesters

Mayet
Photo by: Submitted photo
Mayet

Nicholls’ Walt Disney World campus representatives will be recruiting students for paid internships at Walt Disney World for the spring and fall 2007 semesters Tuesday in the Bollinger Memorial Student Union lobby. “Disney teaches great customer service,” Kristie Tauzin, director of Career Services said. “They teach how to serve customers anywhere.”

Students can earn three credit hours from internship for General Studies 305, Patricia Gabilondo, associate professor of English and department head of General Studies, said. Students participating in the internship for credit are required to do a responsive assignment reflecting on their experiences, Gabilondo said.

Students must be in good standing with the University to participate in the internship, Tauzin said.

In addition to attending one of the presentations in Le Bijou Theater Wednesday at 5 p.m. or Thursday at 11 a.m., students must fill out an application online, Tauzin said. After the application is completed and the presentation is attended, a phone interview will be scheduled. An in-person interview will follow if the phone interview goes well, Tauzin said.

The only costs interns will incur are living expenses and food. Disney provides interns with housing and automatically deducts $60 to $80 from the interns’ paychecks each week, Joseph Mayet, art education sophomore from Mathews, said.

Mayet interned in fall 2005 and spring 2006 and said there are many ways to explore different careers by working for Disney.

Jobs offered by Disney include everything the park offers, Tauzin said, which consist of food service, cast members, retail and rides. Interns are usually placed in outlets based on previous experience or their majors, Tauzin said.

The experience teaches the ability to work with people, and it sharpens skills for the future, Mayet said.

Mayet worked in merchandise at Disney MGM Studios in fall 2005, as a counselor at Camp Minnie Mickey and as a Kilimanjaro Safari tour guide in spring 2006.

“I learned a lot about communications and working in a set environment,” Mayet said. “I did it because it’s an experience of a lifetime,” Mayet said. “You get paid to make magic.