Candlelight vigil held to honor domestic violence victims

TKA members Justin Meaux, Rynn Porche and Zach Begoun take part in the Take Back The Night candlelight vigil on Oct. 23 to end domestic violence.

To remember lives affected by domestic violence, Women’s Resource and Services hosted a candlelight vigil and Take Back the Night Rally last Tuesday night.
“This year they added the Take Back the Night Rally to educate attendees about domestic violence, warning signs and different organizations on and off campus that are dedicated to stop violence,” Alicia Kozak, graduate assistant for the Women’s Resource and Services, said.
Since Nicholls hosted the event this year, Kozak said, speakers from several organizations spoke to attendees during the event to try to involve more student groups.  These organizations included the National Panhellenic Council, Student Educators and Leaders, Women Involved in Self-Empowerment, and the Nicholls Men Against Violence Group.  Kozak herself also spoke, as well as Lacey Angeron, Christy Hawxhurst and Eugene Dial.
“Mayor Tommy Eschete was also in attendance to start the event off with a proclamation that the city of Thibodaux will now recognize October as Domestic Violence Awareness Month,” Kozak said.
The Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office, Chez Hope, The Haven, The PACT Place, CASA and the Thibodaux Police Department were also in attendance, and some had information tables set up.
During the event, names of victims of domestic violence were read, an open mic was present, and jambalaya donated by district attorney Cam Morvant was served in the union, along with the information tables, Kozak said.
Because October is National Domestic Violence Awareness month, the Student Government Association works together every year to ensure that the University recognizes the month.
Domestic violence can be physical abuse, sexual abuse and mental abuse.
Kozak said, “Domestic violence and emotion abuse are behaviors used by one person in a relationship to control another. Partners may be married or not, heterosexual, gay or lesbian, living together, separated or dating.”
According to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, one in four women have experienced domestic violence in her lifetime. In 2005, Louisiana had the third highest number of females murdered by males in the nation. Nearly three out of four Americans personally know someone who is or has been a victim of domestic violence.
According to the Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office, there is a domestic violence unit that was established in 2000. This team consists of domestic violence specialists and a deputy. They are also working in collaboration with Metropolitan Battered Women’s Shelter by having a representative from the organization assist in domestic related protective orders.
“Some signs of abusive relationships are jealousy, name-calling or putdowns, stalking, intimidation, controlling behaviors, sexual assault and actual or threatened physical harm,” Kozak said.
As stated by Domestic Violence Resource Center, “Women account for 85 percent of intimate partner violence, whereas men account for about 15 percent of victims.”
For those experiencing domestic violence, Kozak said there are on-campus services always available to help in the recovery process.
“The Women’s Resource and Services office is available for any woman who has been or is in an abusive situation, or wants more information. Also, the counseling center is available free to all faculty, staff and students,” Kozak said.