Non-believers may be suprised in the end

Okay, I know what most of you are thinking: our Colonels football team is 1-3 and are obviously not nearly as good as last year. All I can say to those non-believers is, “Let’s not give up on our Colonels just yet.” In fact, the Colonels are right where they need to be.

Let’s examine the situation. At this time last season, the Colonels were 1-3 coming off an overtime conference loss to Stephen F. Austin. At that point the Colonels were all but written off as contenders because there was no possible way they could run the tables against teams like Texas State, Northwestern State and McNeese.

Needless to say, the Colonels only lost one more game that season, which was to Furman in the playoffs. So much for not having a chance.

The Colonels turned all non-believers into believers after they won five in a row on their way to earning their first Southland Conference title.

So exactly what am I getting at?

The Colonels had the exact same record at this point last year, and they had one conference loss in the process. Even though the Colonels are 1-3, they have no conference losses and an off-week to prepare for the Homecoming game, which is also their conference opener, against Southeastern. Truth be told, the Colonels are in a good position.

Besides Southeastern, this year’s conference home schedule has many talented teams with Northwestern State and Stephen F. Austin also coming to Guidry Stadium.

Road games against Texas State, McNeese and Sam Houston State will be tough, but overall I’d say the Colonels are in good shape to compete with these teams.

I know many people will probably complain that the Colonels lost to 0-3 South Dakota State, but South Dakota State’s record shouldn’t fool anyone.

In the weeks leading up to the game, Coach Thomas was quoted as saying “they (South Dakota State) are the most deceiving 0-3 team.” That statement says it all. Two of those three losses were against perennial powerhouses Montana and Northern Iowa. Northern Iowa lost in the championship game last season.

Sure, the Colonels didn’t play well at first. But for them to score 14 unanswered points in the fourth quarter and have a chance to tie the game at the end shows this team’s heart and determination.

The Colonels didn’t give up, despite being down 24-3 at one point to a incredibly talented team.

Whenever I think of this year’s team, I am reminded of a quote I once heard from basketball great Michael Jordan, “You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.”

This team expects to improve, and they will.

Knowing the coaches and athletes, I know they expect to rebound Saturday against Southeastern. Many of the players and coaches probably feel embarrassed that they lost at home to South Dakota State, and they are working to fix that.

As fans, it is important that we put last year behind us and focus on the season at hand.

Our Colonels need the fans to show their love for Nicholls, and it starts Oct. 7 against Southeastern. Conference play is a whole new season, and everyone starts out 0-0. In the Southland Conference, it’s anybody’s ball game, so there is no reason to think the Colonels won’t improve and possibly run the table in conference.

Colonels fans, I urge all of you to not let the record deceive you. It may be 1-3, but in the end, who is to say it won’t be 7-3, ending with another conference title.

No matter how this season ends, we should all appreciate the fact that the Colonels are our team. I guess only time will tell, and we all need to be along for the ride.