Play to be performed Oct. 26-29

The Nicholls Players are performing “The Imaginary Invalid,” a comedy by Moliere, Oct. 26, 27 and 28 at 7:30 p.m. and Oct. 29 at 3 p.m. in Talbot Theater. Tickets for “The Imaginary Invalid” will be $5 for students and $10 for the general public.

The comedy involves a man convinced he is always ill. However, the hypochondriac causes most of his problems, Stanley Coleman, assistant professor of speech and the play’s director, said.

The Nicholls Players have not previously performed “The Imaginary Invalid.”

Moliere wrote about 33 plays, and five of the plays are concerning doctors or impersonating doctors, Coleman said.

“This play is one of his most bitter and funniest plays,” Coleman said.

“The Imaginary Invalid” was written during the 17th century, making it a classic.

“We are in the business of educating students, and it was time to do a classic to teach students to enjoy all types of plays,” Coleman said.

The comedy is over the top and exaggerated, Laura Templet, English junior from Raceland, who is on the production staff and plays Louise and Shepardess, said.

“The main thing is the conflicts between the characters; it’s all about the conflicts,” Joshua Stelly, freshman from Thibodaux, who plays Argan, the imaginary invalid, said.

The only difficulties found in performing this play were teaching the actors the customs of the 17th century, Coleman said. Templet was given the responsibility of researching the customs and training herself and the other actors the ways of the time period, Coleman said.

“The lifestyle of the 17th century was influenced by Charles II. Everything was taught; nothing was original,” Templet said. “Life was a dance.”

Although the play is a comedy, there is a hidden morale, Coleman said, which is a person should take responsibility for his or her own health and not leave things up to the physicians.

“The play will give the audience a delightful time with humorous moments and advice and insights to life,” Coleman said.

The actors in “The Imaginary Invalid” are some of the same actors in last semester’s “A Midsummer’s Night Dream,” Coleman said.

It usually takes about six weeks to prepare for opening night, Coleman said.

The play was first performed on Feb. 10, 1673 at the Theatre-Francais in France.

“The Imaginary Invalid” was the last play Moliere wrote. On the fourth production of the play, Moliere starred as the Invalid and fell ill on stage and died a few hours later at his home, Coleman said.

Next semester’s play will be “How to Kill a Mockingbird.