Race scheduled for Saturday

As part of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, NSU STEPs for Breast Health has put up signs around Nicholls campus.
Photo by: Danielle Stringer
As part of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, NSU STEPs for Breast Health has put up signs around Nicholls’ campus.

The 9th annual Bayou Region Race for the Cure will be held at Peltier Park Saturday to promote breast health and raise funds for research, education, screening and treatment of breast cancer. The races begin with a one-mile at 8:30 a.m. and a 5K run/walk follows at 9 a.m.

Gretchen Landry, the Bayou Region race chair, said if registered by Saturday, participants six to 18-years-old pay a $10 entry fee, while participants 19 and older pay $20. Participants can register the day of the race beginning at 7:30 a.m., but the entry fee will be $25.

Those wishing to participate in the festivities but not in the race can register as a “Proud in the Crowd” participant. These participants pay the same entry fees as the racers.

Registration forms can be found in the University Health Services office, the Cancer Center at Thibodaux Regional or on Thibodaux Regional’s Web site, www.thibodaux.com.

This year’s race will feature live music by Soul Survivors, a cover band from New York; a speech by this year’s honorary chair, Jennifer Huntley, Early Edition anchor at WWL-TV; stories of breast cancer survivors and a jambalaya cook-off.

Bill Melancon, race committee member, said the cook-off will have 12 teams of three. The winner of the cook-off will receive the commemorative paddle passed on every year to the winner of the cook-off.

Those interested in participating in the cook-off can call Melancon at (985) 446-9235.

Race activities will also include shopping at “The Pink Boutique,” where items such as pink hats, visors, shirts, mugs and other breast cancer logo items can be purchased.

Awards for the races will be given in several categories. First, second and third place awards are given to overall survivors and overall male and female participants. An award for the overall male and female ages 40 to 59 and overall senior male and female ages 60 and older will also be given. Gold sponsor Mattress Direct of Houma will give an award to the first place survivor winner, and the first 100 children to finish in each race will receive a “Kids for the Cure” metal.

Kim Webre, registered nurse at University Health Services, said she has formed a Nicholls team for this year’s race. Her team has 107 participants, including 18 women from the track team, who are being sponsored by Neil Maki, an orthopedic surgeon at Thibodaux Regional, and the entire men’s baseball team, who is being sponsored by Richard Morvant Jr., also an orthopedic surgeon at Thibodaux Regional, Webre said.

Webre said this is the fifth year Nicholls has a team at Race for the Cure, and she would like to win this year’s award for most team participants and for the most team spirit.

Anyone wishing to register with the Nicholls team can contact Webre in the University Health Services office. The deadline to register is today by 4:30 p.m.